Help me UNDERclock my cpu, please!

KotalKahn

Jun 10, 2015
So unfortunately I want to play Everquest on an emulated server (Project 1999), and that's unfortunate because apparently the game will NOT work with any processor over 4.2; and I have an FX-9590 and an Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 mobo.

I've tried to just go into the bios, turn off turbo tech, and change the multiplier to 20.1 (to change the clock from 4.7 to 4.2), and then simply save and reboot, but when I do this it just automatically reverts to 4.7. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
That board shouldn't give you any such trouble. I don't have hands-on experience with the Sabertooth, but in general, if you disable all auto settings, it should use the settings you plug in by hand. Asus is generally not a company that produces a funky BIOS/UEFI. Have you disabled all the power-saving features as well?

KotalKahn

Jun 10, 2015
That board shouldn't give you any such trouble. I don't have hands-on experience with the Sabertooth, but in general, if you disable all auto settings, it should use the settings you plug in by hand. Asus is generally not a company that produces a funky BIOS/UEFI. Have you disabled all the power-saving features as well?

Yeah...I went back in just a few minutes ago and tried again, and I didn't try anything different as far as I could tell, but this time it stuck. :confused:
Thanks for the advice in any case! :cool:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
No problem. Party like it's 1999 (in Everquest)! Go crazy and get yourself some lore rat paws or something.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Set your max processor state in windows Power Options to 80%.

poweroptions_vista.jpg