Help me select the right vid card for my system.

4thman

Dec 30, 2000
I have a celery 466@525,128 meg ram,10 gig fujitsu hd,A3D pci sound,56k,50x cd.Want to replace my Ati rage pro-turbo 4meg Agp/Voodoo2 12 meg combo.Can only afford a vid card replacement,not a m/b, cpu etc...What would be a good choice for some gaming?I'm thinking GF2 mx.Any recommendations?Thanks.

HappyGamer2

Banned
Jun 12, 2000
it depends on the games you play most.

voodoo4 if you want glide and good 2d, plus nice 16bit quality good drivers at this point in time. not the fastest card of the bunch but faster than the benchesmarks make it out as
Radeon LE ddr for good 32bit speed and quality, 16 bit speed and quality can be poor, drivers aren't the greatest, only if you want to play around with tweaks, good 32 bit 2d
geforce MX, ok card, 2d can suck, watchout on the model and brand on these cheapies

ps kyro/kyro2 if you want experiment and help keep nvidia from being a monopoly

heffe734

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2001
if you get a geforce 2 mx...make sure you have it has a fan on it. Cuz mine and a whole lot of other ppl didn't get cards with fans on it. Lots of freeze ups cuz video card went too hot...but it could've also been the SBLIVE and via chipset conflicts...but you have pentium and so you don't have to worry. The ATI listed sounds good...voodoo is a no no for me. Just my opinion. BTW...i have a Leadtek Geforce 2 GTS Pro...and im loving it. 178.00 at newegg.com...purty chip for an excellent video card.

TheCorm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
Yeah....MX, that will give you a nice performence boost without hurting your wallet. Although the Kyro II looks quite appealing too.

I don't have a fan on my ELSA MX, just a big heatsink, although I have a full tower with lot's of cooling anyway.

Speaking of 3DPower!....their VO MX has a fan usually.

Corm

Additionally.....whattabout extra 128mb ram??, v cheeep at the moment.