Help me put together a good aquarium for my appartment!

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
So I have a 240gall tank that will be going into my appartment in the fall. It is 8x2x2. I would really like to put a cat shark in there, but what type of maintenance do they require? What type of food? Also what kind of fish will they play nice with? Can I put an eal in there? So far I was thinking of putting a black volitan or two and a spotted grouper in there as tank mates, as they are both fairly stout fish. What should I do in the way of filtration? And what about substrate? I've had a 55gallon tank for about 9 years and have had all kinds of smaller fish in there, minatus groupers, volitans, damsels, clows, tangs, wrasses, some angels, even a butterfly. I really like angels butterflys and tangs, but I don't think (esp the angel and butterflys) that they will go well with the other fish (shark) what do you guys think? Will larger tangs and triggers do ok in there?

TonyG

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2000
I would not reccomend getting a shark, with your size of tank, if it was wider it might be ok, but 2 foot is really to narrow.
If you really want to look into it a little more, go take a look around at Fishgeeks, and ask the people there. They are kind of like Anandtech, except dealing with fish instead of computers. There are many people there that can give you better advice then most here could.
As for other fish, you shouldn't have any problems keeping volitans, or some of the smaller morays, such as the snowflake, and possible some of the larger ones, just look at their maximum size. A grouper should do pretty good also.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
heh heh thanks both for the link and the advice, the dimensions of the tank are not set in stone, and neither are the types of fish I want in it yet. I posted over at the fishgeeks :)