Help Me! Please!

DRGrim

Aug 20, 2000
What does it mean when your motherboard refuses to remember your clock speed? I have an Abit BX6-2 with a PIII 600. Every time I turn it on, it is set at 300MHz, and gives me the message 'CPU unworkable or has been changed - please check CPU SOFT MENU, press F1 to continue blah blah.' I go into the BIOS and use these settings:

Ext. Clock (PCI) : 133(1/4)
Multiplier Factor: x6
AGPCLK/CPUCLK : 2/3

When I reboot, it is at the correct clockspeed, but still gives me the 'cpu unworkable' message, and seems to be very unstable. I could blow on this thing and it would crash. Sometimes it dosent even turn on. I try not to do anything that would require any strenuous activity, like accessing the hard drive :).
After a cold boot, its back to 300MHz, but still remembers the time and date, so its not the battery. Any idea what is going on here? Thanks

Redwingsguy

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2000
Do you have a jumpered bios reset on your motherboard? If you do make sure you dont have a jumper on it! :)

xtreme2k

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2000
in the CPU soft menu in the bios

turn SPEED ERROR HOLD OFF

and you will be fine

mrbios

Jul 13, 2000
Well, if its only the CPU speed, then Speed Error Hold will fix you're problem. If it forget's everything (time, etc.) then you're battery is probably dieing.

Russell "Mr.Bios" Sampson