Help Me Pick Out a Used Big SUV Around 5K

DougoMan

May 23, 2009
This would mostly be for moving stuff. By stuff, think 4x8 sheets of plywood, other wood for construction projects, tools, furniture. That's the kind of stuff I currently use my minivan for, but I'm kind of bored with it, it needs some work, my friend really wants it, and let's face it, minivans just aren't that cool.

I thought about a pickup, but decided an SUV would hold about as much with added protection.

I'd also like something a little safer than my 1988 BMW for extended highway trips. I'm terrified of getting an an accident at speed in that tiny car.

I really want a Series I or II Land Rover Discovery, but am counting on you guys to talk me out of it.

My other choice on the absurd side of things is a Ford Excursion, but probably just a little excessive.

I'm leaning towards a ninth generation (1992–1999) Chevy Surburban or First Generation (1997-2002) Ford Expedition.

I'm not as familiar with big foreign SUVs, if there is such a thing, but would consider it if there is one that's a good fit.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated! -Doug

tortillasoup

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2011
You're not buying this vehicle because gas prices are down... right? Also stay the hell away from anything european if you want reliability.

Making a handful of trips to the hardware store to do some reconstruction doesn't justify a vehicle purchase. Are you a contractor or a construction worker???

DougoMan

May 23, 2009
You're not buying this vehicle because gas prices are down... right? Also stay the hell away from anything european if you want reliability.

Making a handful of trips to the hardware store to do some reconstruction doesn't justify a vehicle purchase. Are you a contractor or a construction worker???

No but like I said my minivan is on the fritz, my other car is constantly under repair so I need a second car, and it seems like my van in filled to capacity, and then some, almost weekly, so I need the space.

I did some more research and am thinking a 2004 Nissan Armada or Infinity QX56 might be my best bet. Kind of ugly, but big and reliable. Also 4WD would be great for trips to Tahoe.

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
I'd go GMT800 suburban (99-06). No reason to go older if you can spend up to 5k and they drive much better than the older ones. This is one of those times where you may as well buy a bit newer to get a more reliable/modern truck.

I'm not sure I see the appeal of the Armada/QX56 if you want a truck for working. The GMs will be reliable and cheaper, both to buy and maintain.

tortillasoup

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2011
Yeah either a suburban or something... One appeal of a van should be more cargo room compared with any suv on the market though. I'm very excited about the Ford Transit vans as they're very space efficient now compared to the Econoline shit we've been fed for decades on end. It's too bad they won't sell the FWD Ford Transit as that's the most space efficient van on the market. The FWD model is superior to the RWD/AWD as there is a .5 Cubic meters improvement in cargo space and 100CM increase in usable height from load floor to ceiling.
http://www.ford.co.uk/CommercialVehicles/All-New-Transit/Models

Last edited:

DougoMan

May 23, 2009
If you can get one with a decent price, the diesel Excursion is a beast of a value. They regularly get 20 MPG and will haul or tow anything.
Example:
http://allentown.craigslist.org/cto/4808946030.html

It has to be 2002 or older, the 03 has the infamous 6.0 liter.

I agree, best deal out there. Trying to figure out a way to phrase this without ending up with a that's what she said, but can't. It's just so big. Unless you luck out they usually sell for a good 13-14k around here though.

I'd go GMT800 suburban (99-06). No reason to go older if you can spend up to 5k and they drive much better than the older ones. This is one of those times where you may as well buy a bit newer to get a more reliable/modern truck.

I'm not sure I see the appeal of the Armada/QX56 if you want a truck for working. The GMs will be reliable and cheaper, both to buy and maintain.

Do you really think the GM would be more reliable? The main appeal of the Nissan is the reliability. My friend had a 2001 Tahoe that was a nightmare, but he bought it used so I could have been poorly taken care of in its prior life. But still I know he replaced two fuel pumps within 30k miles which worries me.

Last edited:

tortillasoup

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2011
The fuel pumps fail due to poor grounds (corroded) and insufficient gauge wiring in the electrical harness connector. Fixing one or the other problem and definitely both problems will prevent future fuel pump failures. When you get the new fuel pump, you're suppose to splice in a new harness connector which is suppose to prevent these failures (new harness connector has larger gauge pins). I worked on an '03 Silverado that had a fuel pump failure that wouldn't allow the truck to start.

Even though I knew I'd be replacing the pump and harness connector, I wanted to see what would happen if prior to pump and connector replacement, I thoroughly cleaned up the electrical ground. Well wouldn't you believe it, the truck actually starts! It runs pretty piss poorly but nonetheless it was idling and was capable of revving a little bit but struggled. Anyway I replaced the pump and harness connector as instructed by the manufacturer of the pump (harness connector is included with new pump) and truck is back to normal.

As anybody who knows a thing about electric motors, you want strong, corrosion free connections otherwise you run the risk of burning out your motors due to voltage sag which leads to an unacceptable increase in amperage.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
I have a 2001 Suburban and absolutely love the thing. I've got a touch over 120k and knock on wood no issues with it. I'd buy another in an instant. The motor and transmission are tired and trued so no issues there. When taken care of they last a very long time. Fuel pumps are the weak point of them.

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
Do you really think the GM would be more reliable? The main appeal of the Nissan is the reliability. My friend had a 2001 Tahoe that was a nightmare, but he bought it used so I could have been poorly taken care of in its prior life. But still I know he replaced two fuel pumps within 30k miles which worries me.

They have some known issues, like that fuel pump, but yes, I do. Keep in mind that platform is the same as all of their pick up trucks. If there's anything GM does well, it's BoF (Body on Frame) trucks.

That and if something does go wrong, parts are dirt cheap. A look on my local CL shows a 3-4k price difference between the Armadas and Suburbans. No brainier, imo. The Nissan will have a better interior though, if that matters to you.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
Do you need 4x4? If you live in the snow belt you could not have picked a worse time to go big 4x4 shopping.

Your going to get a newer and lower mileage vehicle if you stick with the minivans and get a set of snow tires or chains for the tahoe trips. Nissan Quests are stupid cheap and very reliable.

If your heart is set on a mammoth suv the Lincoln Navigators can be had on the cheap. Expeditions and Excursions are harder to find in fair condition and price. The Suburbans are even harder to find for under $5k. They get snapped up because they are damn good vehicles. I've seen goverment auction Tahoes going for way more than you want to spend.

DougoMan

May 23, 2009
Do you need 4x4? If you live in the snow belt you could not have picked a worse time to go big 4x4 shopping.

Your going to get a newer and lower mileage vehicle if you stick with the minivans and get a set of snow tires or chains for the tahoe trips. Nissan Quests are stupid cheap and very reliable.

If your heart is set on a mammoth suv the Lincoln Navigators can be had on the cheap. Expeditions and Excursions are harder to find in fair condition and price. The Suburbans are even harder to find for under $5k. They get snapped up because they are damn good vehicles. I've seen goverment auction Tahoes going for way more than you want to spend.

That's a good point on timing. I bet these low gas prices aren't helping my cause either. Since it doesn't seem to snow in Tahoe anymore, I guess the 4x4 is not a big deal.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Don't get the Nissan. They didn't sell many of those and it would be expensive to find parts for in the future. Parts are stupid cheap for the Tahoe/Suburbans and you can practically work on them yourself.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
LOL, I hope you are being sarcastic.
Sensors work but the reluctors need cleaning, that is why the light is on. Really. no electrical gremlins there, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!