Help me pick a TV

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
So I've been having issues with my cheap Philips plasma for the past few months, and it's finally bad enough that I'm going to take it back to Costco for a refund. My question is, should I get another plasma, or switch to LCD?

My main complaints with plasma are:
- the heat the screen generates
- the lack of 1080p in mid-range models
- image retention (which is minimal, but I still notice it)

My main worries about LCDs are:
- contract/black levels (I watch in a room with a light source about 3 feet in front of the screen which is on about 50% of the time)
- viewing angles (the TV sits on top of my dresser, putting the base roughly a foot above my head when sitting or 2 feet above when laying down)
- washed out colors (I notice this in stores.. may be different at home)
- dead pixels

I'd like to spend below $2500-2600 and I don't want anything below 50". I need atleast 2 HDMI inputs (with a digital coax audio input that can be mapped to one would be nice), and two component inputs with stereo sound. I watch from two locations: office chair (3 feet from screen) and bed (9-10 feet from screen), so 1080p may actually affect my viewing experience. Can anyone recommend a TV I should look at?

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
depends on which cons you can "forgive". For me, I would rather have the 1080P than the black level because I only had <$1000 and use it as my computer monitor (coming from 1920x1200). I have 1 dead subpixel and i see it all the time (on white background, I get a magenta pixel due to green subpixel being out), but it is not nearly as bothersome as a stuck pixel for instance.

Washed out colors can be dealt with in part, by careful calibration. Have you looked at the Aquos from above and below to make sure it has adequate vertical viewing angle? If its vert. viewing angle "sucks" then its just not gonna be worth it for you.

For me, list of importance in order:
1. Viewing angle (I need to be able to see the picture clearly from where I view it)
2. 1080P (I use it as computer monitor)
3. Contrast (I want a vibrant, sharp picture)
4. Price (I only had 900$)
5. Heat/Noise/Power usage (not something I usually pay attn to)

BTW, most TVs output a bit of heat, my LCD does output a bit of heat as well. I dont know how it compares to plasma in this respect though.

Raincity

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
I have to echo the same thing as Tiamat. I prefer plasma due to the contrast and black levels and need to PQ to be film-like. I would never consider Philips plasma. Panasonic and Pioneer plasma panels can be had at affordable prices.

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
Wait until the end of the month and see if the Samsung 81 series is any good. It will not have many of the issues associated with LCDs (poor blacks, motion issues). Viewing angles may be a problem, but the SuperClear panels have better viewing angles than most LCDs.

The only question is if the LED backlight is revolutionary or not.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Chris
Wait until the end of the month and see if the Samsung 81 series is any good. It will not have many of the issues associated with LCDs (poor blacks, motion issues). Viewing angles may be a problem, but the SuperClear panels have better viewing angles than most LCDs.

The only question is if the LED backlight is revolutionary or not.

$4999 MSRP for the 52 inch. Best case, $3500-4000 street price. Way too much.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: DBL
You can get the 1080p Panasonic 50PZ700U for $2400.

Where?

Edit: Wow, it's $2299 at Amazon. Does anyone have this TV? What do you think about it?

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
I have the TV. I've posted about it before. Side-by-side, its image easily surpasses the 62u series Aquos I also have. The Aquos looks washed out and artificial by comparison. I have not noticed any image retention and the color accuracy out of the box is pretty spot on. Just get it out of vivid mode when you set it up.

However, I'd be worried about the light source directly in front of the screen. In general, Plasmas have more glare issues than LCD, since they usually have a more reflective surface. But if the Phillips did not bother you, then I see no issue.

Also, if you don't need 1080p, then the new Pioneers may be what you are looking for. I understand they have better black levels and contrast levels then the Panasonic, which says a lot.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: DBL
I have the TV. I've posted about it before. Side-by-side, its image easily surpasses the 62u series Aquos I also have. The Aquos looks washed out and artificial by comparison. I have not noticed any image retention and the color accuracy out of the box is pretty spot on. Just get it out of vivid mode when you set it up.

However, I'd be worried about the light source directly in front of the screen. In general, Plasmas have more glare issues than LCD, since they usually have a more reflective surface. But if the Phillips did not bother you, then I see no issue.

Also, if you don't need 1080p, then the new Pioneers may be what you are looking for. I understand they have better black levels and contrast levels then the Panasonic, which says a lot.

I think I'm going to pick up the 700u. Now I just have to lug my Philips back to Costco..

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Hm.. the 700u only has a contract ratio of 5000:1, while my current Philips is 10000:1. I wonder how big of a change that will be.

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: joshsquall
Hm.. the 700u only has a contract ratio of 5000:1, while my current Philips is 10000:1. I wonder how big of a change that will be.

Don't sweat that. Contrast ratio is the most useless measurement since there is no standard. Every company spouts some ridiculous number. The Panasonic has some of the best contrast and black levels out there. It's not a particularly bright TV but is more than adequate so long as you watch TV in somewhat typical home lighting conditions.

Merovingian

Mar 30, 2005
I would get plasma unless the room gets too much light, don't worry about 1080p.

I just got Pioneer Elite 50" PRO-1150HD, the reason is that plasma has a better picture and the resolution at 50" isn't noticeable at normal viewing distance. Yes I have excellent vision. Panasonic does make an affordable 1080p plasma for about the price you are looking for but I would compare it to the cheaper 720p pioneer elite (not the latest model) before you make your purchase.

Raincity

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Merovingian
I would get plasma unless the room gets too much light, don't worry about 1080p.

I just got Pioneer Elite 50" PRO-1150HD, the reason is that plasma has a better picture and the resolution at 50" isn't noticeable at normal viewing distance. Yes I have excellent vision. Panasonic does make an affordable 1080p plasma for about the price you are looking for but I would compare it to the cheaper 720p pioneer elite (not the latest model) before you make your purchase.

Nice, I love those new Pioneer 8 generation panels. The best grayscale I have seen right out of the box. Silky smooth 24fps makes SD DVD's look very film-like. Congrats

Merovingian

Mar 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Raincity

Nice, I love those new Pioneer 8 generation panels. The best grayscale I have seen right out of the box. Silky smooth 24fps makes SD DVD's look very film-like. Congrats

:)

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I went with the Samsung FPT-5084. Wow is it beautiful. Still breaking it in, so I have the contrast and brightness very low, but it still looks great. Swivel is a nice feature too.