Help me pick a scsi controller

forrestroche

Apr 25, 2005
I am totally new to scsi - so can someone help me pick a controller card for this drive:

ST39102LC http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/specs/scsi/st39102lc.html

It is 9.1 gb (will use it just for OS/Program files), 10k rpm, 5.4ms access, 80 pin connector, ultra2. I know I will need 80-68 pin adapter and a cable. But help me pick a compatible controller that is not TOO expensive (I will also buy on ebay). I am interested in cost versus transfer rate and initialization time...

The drive cost 7.50 so what have I got to lose trying? Maybe later I will step up to 15k (if the price is right). So can you also help me consider cards that would work for both the ultra2 and a ultra320 15k drive later (as soon as I find one CHEAP)?

Once again, thanks for everone's help...

Forrest

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
LSI Logic Ultra160 is an affordable plain-vanilla SCSI card for hard drives. If you can find an Adaptec 19160 for a good price, that would work too.

Don't expect miracles from a drive that old... even on a task that plays heavily to SCSI's strengths, it's going to be about the equivalent of a last-generation 8MB-cache 7200rpm ATA drive. If you do get into the hard drugs (15k drives), get the current-generation stuff or at least the previous-gen stuff, not some ancient first-gen 15k drive. It matters.

Pariah

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2000
What are you planning to use the drive for? To be perfectly honest, it's not even worth $7.50, and I would not spend any money on an adapter or controller for it either. That drive is 7 years old and would get outperformed by your average 5400RPM laptop drive.

gotsmack

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2001
I'll sell you a retail kit (includes cable) adaptec 29160N and a 15K rpm 68 pin seagate 36 gig cheetah. for $255 shipped. I was going to post in FS but I'll give you first dibs

heat under gotsmack I take USPS MO

forrestroche

Apr 25, 2005
Originally posted by: mechBgon
it's going to be about the equivalent of a last-generation 8MB-cache 7200rpm ATA drive.

Well, thank god you can SELL on ebay too (my accountant was worried about how this might affect my position).

Thanks everyone. Will go for latest gen 15k - in which case what's a good controller for THAT?

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: forrestroche
...what's a good controller for THAT?
15kRPM U320 drives won't fill up the bandwidth of a U160 connection individually, so the LSI controller suggested already would be fine. I could only see the advantage to a more expensive U320 controller if you need several drives on one channel and have PCI-X support on your motherboard (PCI supports 133mb/sec max, so you'll hit that limit before you are limited even by the 160mb/sec of U160 SCSI).

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
i could have given u 4 of those 9.1 gb drives..

i still have them if u want to raid them... free (shipping cost)

I got a few 19160N card too if you want it.. I can give you that for 20 bucks.. and give you 4 of these 9.1 80 pin drive for shipping cost.. so it'll be 20 bucks + shipping cost

heatware: forcesho
ebay: forcesho

edit:
Ill give you a 68 pin cable for 4 drive with terminator but I dont have these 80 pin adapter.. so you're on your own on that..

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Yeah, the LSI U160 is good if you're only going to use one or two HDs, but if you want to dabble into some other SCSI like scanners, optical drives, tape drives, etc., it might be worthwihile having a controller with an SE branch too. Other good brands are Adaptec, Tekram (uses mainly LSI/Symbios logic chipsets), Iwill.

.bh.