Help me pick a new credit card

morkus64

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2004
I've been looking for something decent, but i'm not too sure where to look... i'd like a good up front offer, like the 100 or 150 that charles schwab had a bit back... even more important is some form of rewards... my USAA card gives me prime+2.9%, but no cash back or miles or anything. I genereally pay off my CC every month, but i do let it sit now and then. I don't travel much, but that's really only because i can't afford to, so free miles might be nice. Amazon's card looks pretty decent.

Any other suggestions? opinions?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: morkus64
I've been looking for something decent, but i'm not too sure where to look... i'd like a good up front offer, like the 100 or 150 that charles schwab had a bit back... even more important is some form of rewards... my USAA card gives me prime+2.9%, but no cash back or miles or anything. I genereally pay off my CC every month, but i do let it sit now and then. I don't travel much, but that's really only because i can't afford to, so free miles might be nice. Amazon's card looks pretty decent.

Any other suggestions? opinions?
Decide up front if you are going to pay in full every time or not. If not then go more by interest rate than any other factor.

Do you rent cars, ever? If so, get a gold, platinum, or neotweetium card that offers damage waiver protection. The money saved there can trump most rewards program.

Pick a rewards program you can understand. Most of the airline programs confuse me as I can't ever seem to find it spelled out how many miles nets a free ticket. Southwest's program is straight forward but I don't spend enough to make it worth it.

I chose the Borders reward card because the rewards program is straight forward and not capped. Since I always pay in full the interest rate doesn't concern me. The Capital One rewards program offers a better reward in terms of percentage but is capped.

RKS

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
if you buy a lot of electronics/computer items look at Amex, my Amex blue doubles the warranty on purchases.

my dvd burners were almost 2 years old when they went south, when i purchased them they were about $100 each. I called Amex since Newegg only has a 1 year warranty and they sent me a credit a $200 without returning the goods to them or asking for receipts.

Amex blue does have a 'rewards' system but it is not very efficent, you have to spend a lot to get a little reward. The costco blue, however, seems to be a good deal.

morkus64

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2004
oh, i should mention though that i don't really have a need to fly around the US... mostly between the US and UK...

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
oh, i should mention though that i don't really have a need to fly around the US... mostly between the US and UK...
BA has a reward car.

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
5% cashback on gas, drugstore, and supermarket with Citi Dividend
5% cashback on restaurant purchases with Discover
Free credit score with Providian
Amazing service with American Express
Foreign purchases with HSBC, only 1% transaction fee

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Citi Dividend Platinum Select Mastercard

* 5% cash back on purchases at supermarkets, drugstores and gas stations
* 1% cash back on all other purchases
* $5 cash back for each balance transfer of at least $1,500
* Access to Citi Identity Theft Solutions
* 0% APR on new balance transfers for first 12 months
* No annual fee

Chase Cash Plus Rewards Visa

* 0% APR on both purchases and balance transfers for up to 12 months
* Redeem cash back for checks or gift certificates
* Newest cash back card from Chases - replaces the Ultimate Awards card
* No annual fee

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Citi Dividend Platinum Select

It has earned me $387 so far. It's slowed down because I'm not driving 750 miles a week anymore.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: mugs
Have you ever max'd out your $300 dividend in one year? The closest I've gotten is around $200 per year.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Have you ever max'd out your $300 dividend in one year? The closest I've gotten is around $200 per year.
Nope... I think I hit about $250 in my first 12 months.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
AmEx Blue Cash: It doesn't have a limit on the cash back rebate like the Citibank card. I use it for business travel and got $600 rebate last year!

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Mermaidman
AmEx Blue Cash: It doesn't have a limit on the cash back rebate like the Citibank card. I use it for business travel and got $600 rebate last year!
Rewards are 1% for "Everyday purchases" (gas stations, supermarkets and drug stores) and .5% on everything else for your first $6500 spent, after $6500 it goes up to 5% and 1%.

Citi starts out at 5% and 1%. So unless you're spending a LOT of money (and you'd have to to get over Citi's $300 limit), the Citi card is the better card.

In your case I'd use a Costco Amex for travelling (2% back) and eating out (3% back) and a Citi for everything else (unless you'd still go over Citi's $300 even without the travelling, then I'd either throw in a third card or put the rest on the Amex).

morkus64

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2004

* No annual fee

* No annual fee

Thanks everyone... i've narrowed it down to these two... i'm leaning towards the chase because i'm not sure if my credit is good enough for the other... (according to some site or other you need good for the chase and excellent for the citi)

Doesn't really seem like there's much of a difference between the two though

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Thanks everyone... i've narrowed it down to these two... i'm leaning towards the chase because i'm not sure if my credit is good enough for the other... (according to some site or other you need good for the chase and excellent for the citi)

Yeah, my wife got rejected by Citi... she doesn't have bad credit, she just didn't put any effort into building credit in college like I did.

I think the Citi is slightly better, but I forget in what way... RossMAN would know though. It might have been something like virtual account numbers (which Citi offers, don't know about Chase).

ChaoZ

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2000
I thought you share the credit once you get married. How she get rejected?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: ChaoZ
I thought you share the credit once you get married. How she get rejected?
We weren't married yet. But... if I said my girlfriend got rejected for the card I think my wife would get pissed! :) You can still apply for credit independently even if you're married though.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

* No annual fee

* No annual fee
$5 cash back for each balance transfer of at least $1,500?

$15k credit line. 10 xfers. get $50?

better than nothing, i guess

Minjin

Platinum Member
Jan 18, 2003
Maxed out mine in a month and a half. But that was with AT&T's version that had a straight 5% promotional rebate on everything...

Mark

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000

* No annual fee

* No annual fee

In my experience Chase is more generous with their limits, so hopefully you've made the right choice.

I still prefer my CitiBank over the Chase though, I love the Virtual Account Numbers feature.

ASK THE COMMUNITY