Help me out quick

MBrown

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Im trying to install and run tomcat. Im looking at the directions and typed everything in correctly. Can you guys see what im doing wrong?

I typed in set JAVA_HOME=c:\jkd1.3.1

then I typed set PATH=%PATH%;%JAVA_HOME%\bin

to test to see if I had java installed right I typed in "java -version" and everything was write. When I typed in javac to try and see if the PATH was right I got "javac is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

I dont know whats going on. Do any of you guys know? Thanks

sigs3gv

Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: MBrown
Im trying to install and run tomcat. Im looking at the directions and typed everything in correctly. Can you guys see what im doing wrong?

to test to see if I had java installed right I typed in "java -version" and everything was write. When I typed in javac to try and see if the PATH was right I got "javac is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Are you sure you set JAVA_HOME to C:\jdk1.3.1 instead of C:\jkd1.3.1?

MBrown

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: sigs3gv

I'm sure

kogase

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
Uh, is "javac" actually in that directory? Do you see it there in Explorer?

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
I clicked this thread thinking it was about Tom Cruise and Katie Holms! :eek:

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999
Originally posted by: sigs3gv

I'm sure

Check your install path and set path again. I am sure you make a typo as sigs3gv points out.

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: alien42
why would you want to use tomcat?

why not? Is there something wrong with Tomcat? If he's playing with Java servlets and jsps, then Tomcat is pretty much the defacto standard for that.

OP, you may want to update your JDK to 1.4.2 at least. The different versions of Tomcat may use different versions of the JDK. Tomcat 5.5 for instance will only run on JDK1.5, 5.0 will run on 1.4, and pre 5.0 Tomcat will probably work on 1.4 as well as 1.3, but there aren't any guarantees.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
Move %JAVA_HOME% to the front of the %PATH%.
Also make sure that %JAVA_HOME% is defined.
i.e
PATH=%JAVA_HOME%\bin;%PATH%

The windows path has a limitation of how many characters it can hold.
You will need to open a BRAND NEW dos prompt to validate whether the above gets sourced or not.

If it still doesnt work, type in 'set' or 'path' on the dos prompt to validate your settings in the path.