Help me name this old game

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
So I'm remembering an old game I played once upon a time. I'm sure this was dos-era. You piloted a small ship, but I believe you could only fly around the atmosphere of what looked like Mars. The landscape was all red earth with tons of rock formations. What was really cool is that you could land and let this little remote robot out - then you could pilot the robot around to do stuff and switch between the robot/ship as well.

I think you had some weapons and there were some bad guys to kill, but that wasn't the main point of the game.

This was a true 3D game, so maybe it wasn't DOS based, but you flew around and could travel in 3 dimensions. Think Descent style of gameplay, but you couldn't fly outside the atmosphere of the planet if I recall correctly.

Can anyone help me figure out the name of this game? TIA!

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Nope, but thanks!

Sorry forgot to mention this was actually a 3D-type game. I guess you would consider it 3rd person, as you viewed outside the ship and flew it around.

imported_Truenofan

Golden Member
May 6, 2005
i think i remember it. my grandpa had it on his old 486 dx4 100mhz system i think. on windows 95/98. i don't think it was dos based, it ran in windows though. i remember it pretty well though....if its what i think it is. i'll ask my mom if she can look at the games on they're computer sometime in the near future.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Negative on both counts guys, sorry. This was a true 3D game, so maybe it wasn't DOS based, but you flew around and could travel in 3 dimensions. Think Descent style of gameplay, but you couldn't fly outside the atmosphere of the planet if I recall correctly.

Oceandevi

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2006
I played a game like this. you could explore the dunes and hills and stuff. I got it from a either happy puppy or a PC gamer demo disk.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
^^
That sounds right! And I agree, I think mine was a demo too as I recall. That's why I was stuck doing the same thing over and over, but it was so fun!

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Sorry guys not either of those.

The Fractalus one looks very similar in terms of plot, but the graphics on this game were much better.

Keep 'em comin!

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
The Descent type gameplay narrows it down considerably. I haven't played any of them, but Terminal Velocity, Fury3 and Hellbender (all by the same company I think) are supposed to have similar flight mechanics but are outdoors.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Can you remember the approximate year of release ? And maybe the developer and/or publisher ? To me it does sound a lot like the original Descent (made by Parallax Software, published by Interplay) back in 1995 if I recall correctly.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Descent is all indoors though. Descent 3 was the only game in the series with outdoor portions, and although the guidebot sort of fits the OP's description, you couldn't control him directly.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Thanks folks.

CP - Hellbender is REALLY similar (I DLed the demo). In fact, so similar I think I played it back in the day and am confusing it.

The graphics and controls are spot-on though, the same type indeed. I think the difference is that I don't think you could quite soar like in some type of aircraft in this game. I think it was like a super hovercraft, where you could go over the ravines & mountains, but not actually fly freely like a plane - I could be wrong there.

We're really close - keep them coming!

imported_Truenofan

Golden Member
May 6, 2005
ah i was thinking hellbender. i really couldnt remember it untill i saw that name. sorry i couldnt help, my parents never returned my messages on aim.