Help me match the i5 6600k, please!

cctaylor88

Nov 2, 2012
Pretty set on purchasing the i5 6600K. Have been out of the game for quite some time (last build was in 2010). Anyways I will be using the setup mainly to game and watch videos/browse. I would like to note that I am also going to be purchasing an UW monitor (34 inch most likely) and am wondering if I want freesync is a "display port" a requirement? Have zero experience with DP. Is this an output that the motherboard should provide if I want to move to an UW setup?

Yes, planning on OC'ing the CPU. However I don't want to pay a premium to "OC" my motherboard and/or RAM. Just making this a sidenote because I generally don't believe in or utilize gamer marketed components. Would rather spend the $ elsewhere as long as the component fits my requirements.:D

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
AFAIK they have demonstrated Freesync over HDMI, but I don't think there are a lot of monitors that supports it. DP is the way to go if you want freesync. (I could be wrong though)

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
I would like to note that I am also going to be purchasing an UW monitor (34 inch most likely) and am wondering if I want freesync is a "display port" a requirement? Have zero experience with DP. Is this an output that the motherboard should provide if I want to move to an UW setup?

No, that will be on your graphics card, and it should have at least one HDMI and one DP connection. Be sure to use the connection required by the monitor for the resolution and refresh rate you want (eg, Asus VG248QE requires Dual-link DVI-D or DP for 144Hz despite having HDMI input).