Help Me Interpret the Macromedia EULA

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
2. License Grants
The licenses granted in this Section 2 are subject to the terms and conditions set forth in this EULA:

a. Subject to Section 2(b), you may install and use the Software on a single computer; or install and store the Software on a storage device, such as a network server, used only to install the Software on your other computers over an internal network, provided you have a license for each separate computer on which the Software is installed and run. Except as otherwise provided in Section 2(b), a license for the Software may not be shared, installed or used concurrently on different computers.

b. Portable or Home Computer Use for Software Requiring Mandatory Product Activation. For Software requiring Mandatory Production Activation, in addition to the single copy of the Software permitted in Section 2(a), the primary user of the computer on which the Software is installed may make a second copy of the Software and install it on either a portable computer or a computer located at his or her home for his or her exclusive use, provided that:

(A) the second copy of the Software on the portable or home computer (i) is not used at the same time as the copy of the Software on the primary computer and (ii) is used by the primary user solely as allowed for such version or edition (such as for educational use only),
(B) the second copy of the Software is not installed or used after the time such user is no longer the primary user of the primary computer on which the Software is installed, and
(C) the Software was not licensed under a volume discount.

Above is the text of the EULA (the full can be found here: http://www.macromedia.com/software/eula/tools/) I'm wondering if its possible that I can install Studio MX 2004 (where this EULA came from) on both my PC and my laptop given that i will not be using both at the same time, by myself only, and its a signle user copy. I'm thinking its ohkay because section 2b gives me that ability it sounds like, although in section a there is all sorts of mention of a Single Computer and im not sure what the "software requiring mandatory activation" clasue relates to...

So can anyone help me out here in figuring out how many copies of studio im going to have to buy to cover my desktop and laptop?

wedi42

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2001
yes

he primary user of the computer on which the Software is installed may make a second copy of the Software and install it on either a portable computer...

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
This is the first time ive heard of a personal user reading the EULA. Kudos to you

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: jadinolf
Originally posted by: Mo0o
This is the first time ive heard of a personal user reading the EULA. Kudos to you

Even understanding the EULA. :)
I dunno if i'd go THAT far...thats why i'm asking here :p