Help me get more points for AT Folding

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
so i stopped running 2 x SMP clients since i've installed the GPU2 client and would liket o know if it were possible for my system to get anymore points.

my 1 x SMP clients gets me about 1755 PPD and my 8800gt gets me about 3848 PPD.

what other client should i be running in order to maximize PPD in my system?

keeleysam

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2005
If you want to dedicate a core to the GPU application, you could always run a standard application so all cores are being used.

However, what I would do is have two SMP apps, and set the GPU application's priority to be one higher than the SMP apps.

Cutthroat

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2002
I think you are at your max now Louisssss.

You are using WinXP so you MUST dedicate a CPU core to the GPU2 client. And an SMP client will use the remaining 3 cores without a problem.

I think for you to get any more ppd you either need to move to Vista so you don`t need to dedicate a CPU core, or overclock some more.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
Originally posted by: keeleysam
If you want to dedicate a core to the GPU application, you could always run a standard application so all cores are being used.

However, what I would do is have two SMP apps, and set the GPU application's priority to be one higher than the SMP apps.

how do i set the GPU2 app priority when running 2 x SMP applications?
and is this what everyone else is doing with a quad + GPU2?

Diogenes2

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2001
Cutthroat
You are using WinXP so you MUST dedicate a CPU core to the GPU2 client.

What do you mean by ' must ' ...

What happens if you don't ?

I'm running 2 x SMP with affinity changer + GPU - and I did nothing to assign affinity to the GPU ..

Seems to be running O.K. ..

Cutthroat

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Diogenes2
Cutthroat
You are using WinXP so you MUST dedicate a CPU core to the GPU2 client.

What do you mean by ' must ' ...

What happens if you don't ?

I'm running 2 x SMP with affinity changer + GPU - and I did nothing to assign affinity to the GPU ..

Seems to be running O.K. ..

Since XP uses 100% of one core (so I hear), it's probably pointless to run 2 SMP clients, as one client will saturate 3 cores.

Running 2 SMP clients is a PITA, if you can get the same ppd with 1 you would be causing yourself undue hardship.

Try this for kicks to see, use FAHmon to monitor 2 SMP clients + 1 GPU client, and also 1 SMP client + 1 GPU client (making sure the SMP clients are crunching the same project). My guess is the difference in ppd is very small, possibly worse if the SMP clients are taking needed CPU power from the GPU2 client, it may slow down the GPU2 client significantly and it should be the highest point producer.