Help me find a thread

snoopdoug1

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2002
A while back there was a thread about a guy who bought a device(i can't remember what it was called) on ebay that told him how much electricity something was using. Can anyone identify the device and/or find the thread? No flaming please, I can't remember the name of that stupid thing!

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
power meter

they guy's particular brand was "kill-o-watt" or some other stupid play on kilowatt.

snoopdoug1

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2002
That's it! thanks!

Sorry, I can't get the linking to work even though the preview shows the link correctly... title of the thread is "Got a new nerd toy"

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Hehe, I got one on eBay after reading that thread. I used it to see the difference between leaving my PC on all day while I am at work. The difference is about $3 a month. I think I can handle that... :)

I also found that raw heat sources are the monster eaters. Toasters, microwaves, toaster ovens, heaters, blow dryers...etc all use 800W+. Those devices are usually only used for a short time period though.

snoopdoug1

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2002
Yeah, I was in an argument here at work. The guy claimed you need at least 300 watts for a computer power supply... but people were posting that they were only pulling like 100 watts(at no load).