Help me find a really, really old space combat game

Eloque

Mar 4, 2013
I've been spending hours online searching in vain for a computer game from my youth. One of the first games I've ever played, one that I'd really like find back.

Here is what I know;

• I played it on an 8086 or 8088
  • It's a game of space combat between 2 spaceships
  • One ship is a round shape, and fights defensivly, ie it uses it's laser to shoot down missiles
  • One ship, a somewhat triangle like shape, fight aggresisvly, it fires a constant barrage of missiles
  • Both ships have energy supplies that regenerate over time
  • Energy is used for propulsion, missiles and laser
  • You can use laser to shoot down missiles
  • It was monochrome
  • You could either play vs. the computer, have the computer play against itself or play against another human
  • It had really nice 'newtonian' physics, you could slow down or speed a ship but not really steer
If anyone has any clue, I'd really appreciate it!

Eloque

Mar 4, 2013
That does look very much like it, I believe it was some sort GWBasic version of it. Bear in mind, it played it in the 80's. Spacewar is from '62?

Getting closer. Thanks.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Sounds like Star Control 1, but I think he might be looking for something older. Most of that list is verbatum Star Control.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
its spacewar. there were different revisions that came out for pc in the 80's.

star control was the eventual stepchild. ariloo vs spathi or mmnrhnm was the classic match up. i even loved the singleplayer map control mode as well.

download urquan masters for a freeware remake of SC2

Eloque

Mar 4, 2013
Excellent! That is the one! Looks dingier then I remember :) The interwebs are wise it seems and have a long memory.

Thank you all for the help, I am off to recreate as an exercise in PyGame.