Help me find a new Wireless Router

Bull Dog

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2005
I'm looking for a new Wireless Router. The sheer number of choices out there are a bit daunting so I was hoping to be able to tap someone with a bit more knowledge in the field.

I'm a little leery about trying to flash custom firmware (DD-WRT, Tomato), however I'm sure I have the skills to do it right.

I would like to have the ability to configure QoS for Wireless.
I'm looking to get a "good" router so my budget is good for $170

Will I need a "dual-band" router if I want to be able to use 802.11n at 5GHz while having 802.11g clients connected at the same time?

I've been looking at the ASUS RT-N66U...does the consumer (free) version of DD-WRT support wireless QoS?

Last edited:

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The RT-N66U is an excellent choice, possibly even using stock firmware. Not sure about DD-WRT's QoS but Tomato has excellent QoS and Toastman (www.linksysinfo.org > forums > Tomato) has a fantastic thread/guide on QoS using Tomato.

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/using-qos-tutorial-and-discussion.28349/

Yes, you'll need dual band if you want both 5GHz as well as 802.11G.

If you're wanting to go cheap and solid using a 3rd party firmware, you could try this for $29.99 with FREE shipping (5% cash back if using ShopDiscover / Discover card): It won't be as good as an RT-66U but I've been using it for a few weeks and it's been very good so far. Not the most easy router to flash 3rd party but workable nonetheless.

Belkin: New: Simultaneous dual band. CHEAP

http://www.buy.com/prod/belkin-play-...217458024.html

Good luck.

Last edited:

Bull Dog

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2005
Thank you Engineer for answering my questions. I hadn't realized that there was a Tomato build for RT-N66U.

I decided to spring for the Asus RT-N66U.

mammador

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2010
Most routers out there can send signals for b/g/n nodes.

I have an Airlink router from 2010, and it still is working well.

Dec 10, 2005
Most routers out there can send signals for b/g/n nodes.

I have an Airlink router from 2010, and it still is working well.

That may be true, but if you want 5ghz n you need a dual band router. If you want both 2.4 & 5 ghz at the same time you'll have to spring for simultaneous dual band.

And keeping n and g separate if possible is useful since wireless generally falls to the speed of the slowest device.

Last edited:

HKSturboKID

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2000
I am also shopping for a new wireless router. My d-link 655 is having issues where I need to reboot it on a weekly basis. Don't want to spend too much money but do want stability. Was thinking about the Netgear n600. Any good options out there under $100?

HKSturboKID

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2000
Jack,

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into it. Essentially, what I need is a good range and stability connection. I have over 10 - 15 devices connected to it over wireless.

H

Sephire

Golden Member
Feb 9, 2011
I installed several E4200v1 and has issues. Better yet it is not infected with Cisco Connect Cloud :D

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Jack,

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look into it. Essentially, what I need is a good range and stability connection. I have over 10 - 15 devices connected to it over wireless.

H

Taking into considarion your needs and depending on the physical environment,it might be that there is No single Wireless AP solution (Access Point is the Wireless part of the Router) that will deliver everything that you need.

It kind like saying, I want a Nice two sitter sport car that can also be used in transporting Lumber and large Cement bags to my new construction site.

You start with one good strong Wireless Router and if need you extend the Wireless network with more APs.

Unfortunately, many people waste money and time looking for the unattainable Holy Wireless Grail.

:cool:

Bull Dog

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2005
I wanted to follow up on my post to give an update.

I have been using my Asus RT-N66U for a few weeks now with the stock firmware and while the firmware is flashy and looks good, it is slow and has some odd bugs. Backspace refuses to work in some fields, and it takes over a full minute to add a port to the port forwarding list.

Today I followed this guide to flashing an RT-N66U with TomatoUSB.

What a world of difference. Tomato is more informative, faster, easy to use and has an obscene number of features. I'm particularly fond of the feature that allows one to scan the channels and see what wireless channels other nearby wireless networks are using.

I would get this router again.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
One thing to think about when buying the router is if you need gig bit local ports (I do). Some of the chepaer routers mentioned in this thread are 100Mbit for the wired lan.
-
With regards to the E4200; I've been seeing mix reviews so unsure what to think. The rt-n66u most of the complaints are with the firmware (not so much an issue if you use tomato; but most of the reviews have high praise for the hardware).

Btw JackMDS; what makes a good extender (AP) and are they difficult to configure (this question is aimed at my parents house; my dad has a computer upstairs; the router is downstairs - almost directly below but he still has a modestly weak signal). They cable company provided them with some sort of cheap smc router (unfortunately I do not know the model #)

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Btw JackMDS; what makes a good extender (AP) and are they difficult to configure (this question is aimed at my parents house; my dad has a computer upstairs; the router is downstairs - almost directly below but he still has a modestly weak signal). They cable company provided them with some sort of cheap smc router (unfortunately I do not know the model #)

The best extender id a good Wireless Router that is configure to work as an Access Point and it connected to the main Router with a cable.

If a cable is out of the question then the Wireless Router can be configured as a Client bridge and extend the network via the Bridge.

Using DD-WRT capable Wireless Router provides the flexibility needed the establish the best solution according to the circumstances.

:cool: