Help me find a good watch

Oct 25, 2006
My closest friend is about to have his 18th birthday next week, and so I've been wondering what to get him. I've been considering getting him a watch because he doesn't have one and it just seems appropriate.

I'm thinking of getting him a Swatch. However, he is more of a geeky type, so I was thinking something more...digitalized, while still retaining the classic Rolexy style. Anyone have any recommendations?

It might be weird but he is my best friend, and it might be good for a laugh or two.

I'll worry about price when I get to it.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
If he's close, spend a bit more and get an analog that will last. A digital will last a while, but is "cold" in that it's hard to get emotionally/sentimentally attached to it; you will only wear it until it runs out of juice. I won't recommend any specific brands (unless you can afford a Rolex;) I sure can't...), just get whatever looks good and doesn't say Wal-mart.

chin311

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
just got a pulsar this weekend.

after looking at several 400-600$ watches i decided on this one because it was 180$ish and seemed just as nice.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
There seemed to be a lot of Hot Deals on watches lately both here and on Fat Wallet lately, most coming out of Amazon.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I'd go mechanical and even vintage rather than anything quartz. I don't care how much a battery operated watch costs, it just lacks the critical thinginess which it should have if I'm going to bother with such a retro device.

Boztech

May 12, 2004
Originally posted by: tenshodo13
so I was thinking something more...digitalized, while still retaining the classic Rolexy style

that makes absolutely no sense

Boztech

May 12, 2004
http://www.fossil.com/shopping...t=966&iProductID=40686

I'm having a good look at this. It does fit my description, and it looks decent. How do you feel ATOT?

is he really that geeky? because that looks rediculous and like the bezel is about 50mm thick

for a GOOD daily driver watch in that price range i would recommend a Citizen Eco-Drive or a Casio G-Shock if you really think digital is what he wants

check Amazon

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: Boztech
http://www.fossil.com/shopping...t=966&iProductID=40686

I'm having a good look at this. It does fit my description, and it looks decent. How do you feel ATOT?

is he really that geeky? because that looks rediculous and like the bezel is about 50mm thick

for a GOOD daily driver watch in that price range i would recommend a Citizen Eco-Drive or a Casio G-Shock if you really think digital is what he wants

check Amazon

Sorry, I have no idea what a Bezel is. Is that thickness?

And yes, he is absurdly geeky, well mabey not onto my level. Might not be something to be proud of, but, oh well.

potoba

Oct 17, 2006
i have a citizen eco drive and it's been great. I forgot the model but it has a dark blue dial.

legoman666

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2003
I also have a fossil blue series. Got it for grade school graduation and its still running great. Crystal needs to be replaced since my sister hit it with a rock, but besides that, I love it.

EGGO

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
18 yrs old? Fossil. Unless he's into watches, no need to give him something that much out of your pocket in my opinion.

However, if it was me, I'd really ask for a Tissot. :D