Help me figure out T-Bird/Fan problem

Zone

Oct 10, 1999
Ok, so I'm a bit confused here. I was going to order the following setup from a local computer vendor:

T-Bird 800
32 MB RAM
Abit KT7-RAID
10 Gig HD
inwin a500 case
etc.

I was then going to add 256MB PC133 RAM,
a 45Gig HD, Plextor 12/10/32A CDRW,
AOPEN slot load DVD (repackaged Pioneer 105s),
and a CL GEForce 2 32MB.

My dream machine basically.

Then I saw the post here that AMD is slashing prices on it's processors on Monday. I decided to wait. While I was waiting, I was doing some digging. Turns out my local supplier charges $223 for a T-Bird 800Mhz. On Pricewatch, I've seen them as low as $160 range. I know this local supplier won't lower prices right away (how do they handle that anyway? I mean, suppliers bought a certain price. Do they now lose money?) so I thought I'd take the plunge and build my own system from scratch.

Here's the confusion: If I can get an 800Mhz chip after the price drop, I assume that it won't come with a fan. What kind of fan am I looking for with this CPU? Any good reviews anywhere? I'd like to try to OC so I'd need a good one. How do they attach?

Anyone have any good pointers to building a system?

R6Veteran

Sep 21, 2000
The Alpha 6065 heatsink with Delta 38CFM Fan is the combo I have and is considered the best; however, it is quite noisy. if you don't want the noise, go with the Alpha heat sink and Sunon fan. All of this can be found at good prices at. http://www.coldcpu.com/

AMDfreak

Aug 12, 2000
The PAL 6035 is awesome. I put a peltier kit on it today, as soon as the silicone sealant finishes drying on the mobo I'll see how high she'll fly...

AMDfreak

Aug 12, 2000
The PAL 6035 is awesome. I put a peltier kit on it today, as soon as the silicone sealant finishes drying on the mobo I'll see how high she'll fly...

Edit:Sorry for the double post, I'm not used to my dad's sluggish 28.8 connection.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Any of the HSF units already mentioned will do a good job, if you don't mind the noise, otherwise get a Taisol

From what I read, T-Birds have unusual power requirements, do yourself a favor and get a case that has a
AMD approved PSU

They also run hot, so case cooling is important. The fong kai and antec-sx series cases, for example, have very good stock cooling features.

Quality memory is worth the extra $, don't have to go all out, just get some solid brand name stuff.