Help me design a workout routine

lastig21

Platinum Member
Oct 23, 2000
After years of being lazy, I have finally decided to get back to the gym. I am searching the internet for workout routines, but wanted to see what ATOT would recommend to me. Basically, I am looking for an A/B type workout routine. I will workout muscle groups A on Monday and Thursday, and muscle groups B on Tuesday and Friday. Wednesday would be left open for rest or cardio.

What muscle groups would you recommend working out on the same day? Which lifts would you recommend doing on those days? Although I would like to workout the same muscle groups twice a week, I don't have to do the same lifts twice a week. I'm looking to become more tone then big. I'm currently 5'8" and 155lbs in what I'd say to be fair shape.

ThaPerculator

Golden Member
May 11, 2001
Your Typical 2-Day Split...

M/W - Chest/Tri's/Shoulders/Quads
Bench Press 3 x 12
Pec Deck or Dumbell Flys - 3x12
Tricep Pulldowns - 3x12
Add another Tricep Workout you like
Military Press or Dumbell M. Press - 3x12
Add some Shrugs/Lateral Raises/whatever you like

Leg Extensions 3x12
Squats 3x12 (Squats are arguably the BEST workout you can do... don't be a wuss and skip them...)

Abs

T/R - Back/Biceps/Hammies/Forearms
Lat Pulldowns - 3x12
EZ-Curls - 3x12 (both closed and open grip if u like)
either preacher curls, incline bench curls, or other form of curls
Upright Rows or Cable rows depending on preference

Leg Curls 3x12
Deadlifts (Great Leg/Lower Back workout) 3x12
Good Mornings (if you can pull off form correctly) 3x12

Throw in some Wrist curls for grip training if you have time. If not, deadlifts should help a bit anyways.

Throw in cardio and a good diet and you should be golden. Also change up the # of reps, or the exercises used every couple of weeks. Most people forget to work their lower back, then complain about low back problems... if your'e gonna work your abs, you gotta work your lower back just as well.

iliopsoas

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2001
I'm going to start working out too. all the stuff you mentioned sound foreign to me though

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: ThaPerculator
Your Typical 2-Day Split...

M/W - Chest/Tri's/Shoulders/Quads
Bench Press 3 x 12
Pec Deck or Dumbell Flys - 3x12
Tricep Pulldowns - 3x12
Add another Tricep Workout you like
Military Press or Dumbell M. Press - 3x12
Add some Shrugs/Lateral Raises/whatever you like

Leg Extensions 3x12
Squats 3x12 (Squats are arguably the BEST workout you can do... don't be a wuss and skip them...)

Abs

T/R - Back/Biceps/Hammies/Forearms
Lat Pulldowns - 3x12
EZ-Curls - 3x12 (both closed and open grip if u like)
either preacher curls, incline bench curls, or other form of curls
Upright Rows or Cable rows depending on preference

Leg Curls 3x12
Deadlifts (Great Leg/Lower Back workout) 3x12
Good Mornings (if you can pull off form correctly) 3x12

Throw in some Wrist curls for grip training if you have time. If not, deadlifts should help a bit anyways.

Throw in cardio and a good diet and you should be golden. Also change up the # of reps, or the exercises used every couple of weeks. Most people forget to work their lower back, then complain about low back problems... if your'e gonna work your abs, you gotta work your lower back just as well.

Why 12 for everything? Squats is not a workout, it's an exercise and I don't know about the best really...many people have problems that make squats bad for them to do.

I also would not do squats one day and deadlifts the next.

Å

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002
Woot, I think Ima start workign out too. Hopefully I actually put on some muscle since Im a skinny guy. 5'10 145.

lastig21

Platinum Member
Oct 23, 2000
I will have about 60 to 75 minutes to workout everyday. Thanks for the detailed list ThaPerculator. That's just what I was looking for.

yobarman

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
You'd be better off splitting it up into 4 instead of 2.

Day A - Back and Biceps
Day B - Shoulders and Tri's
Day C - Chest
Day D - Legs

You can switch it to shoulders/chest and bi's/tri's but it's up to you.

I have to disagree with The Perculator for his 3x 12 routine. you're not going to build muscle as fast if you did it some other way. Try 4 sets of (8, 6, 6, 4 reps) increasing the weight each time of course, except between 6 and 6, but you can if the first set of 6 was easy. The last set of 4 should be pretty damn heavy, and you should be barely able to get the last one up.

Of course this doesnt apply to every exercise, and it doesn't have anything to do with 1 Rep Max, percentages of max lifts, whatever. It gets a lot more complicated, check out T-mag.com in my sig.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: lastig21
I will have about 60 to 75 minutes to workout everyday. Thanks for the detailed list ThaPerculator. That's just what I was looking for.

That's a long workout, esp for a beginner but you can incorporate the shoulder part of III to I and the Leg part of III to II and that should be about your timeframe

I do this with dumbbells for almost everything, 30-45 mins

I
Chest/Triceps
Chest
Incline Bench 4x8-10 (shooting for one set of 4-6)
Flat Bench 4x8-10 (shooting for one set of 4-6)
Decline Bench 3x8-10
Pullovers 3x8-10
Triceps
Dips 3x8-10
Tricep Extension 3x8-10

II
Back/Biceps
Back
Lat Pulldowns/Pullups 4x8-10 (max with pullups first, later on I will add weight to my body)
Bent Rows 4x8x10 (shooting for one set of 4-6)
Low Rows 3x8-10
Biceps
Curls 3x8-10
Hammer Curls 3x8-10

III
Legs/Shoulders
Legs
Leg Press 4-5x8-10 1 or 2 heavy sets
Leg Curl 3x8-10
SL Dead Lift 3x10-12 (like good mornings only I use dumbells for them)
Calf Raises 4x8-10 1 or 2 heavy sets
Shoulders
Military Press 3x8-10
Side Laterals 2-3x10-12
Bent Laterals 2-3x10-12

Crunches 3x max
Leg Raises 3x max
Side Bends (db) 3x10-12

Å

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I think the book by Arnold Schwarzenegger which was originally published in 1985 and has now been updated to The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding : The Bible of Bodybuilding, Fully Updated and Revised is one of the best books to see all the exercises....I have not seen the latest edition, but the old one had almost every exercise you could think of.

The price for the paperback is $25 and hardcover $50.

Å

ThaPerculator

Golden Member
May 11, 2001
Why 12 for everything? Squats is not a workout, it's an exercise and I don't know about the best really...many people have problems that make squats bad for them to do.

Because if you are going more for toning, you don't want to do lower reps/higher weight. I would reccommend doing a final "killer" set of max reps with a lower weight, but that takes too much time.

Squats arent a workout?? YOUR AN IDIOT. Squats are one of the, if not arguably, best exercises you can do. They work an insane amount of muscles in conjunction with each other, and factor in balance, control, etc. If you don't think squats are a workout in itself, use heavier weight and come back. Once you start getting "down in the hole" (common squat term for absolute low point) you will absolutely love squats.

People that have problems doing squats are either not doing them right, or are total whiners. Squats take a minute to learn, months to master. It's all about finding exactly at what point your muscles kick in, etc. and how to "memorize" the correct form that is tailored to your body. Squats are only bad for your knees if you do them wrong.

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
For building muscle mass quick, all these previous workouts are wonderful. However, if you want to remain flexible/gain flexibility and strength, I would recommend gravity training. I've been doing gravity training for the past two years with some great results in muscle increase + I've gained an enormous amount of flexibility. However, I'm sure your one of the ones who just wants muscle mass quick and relatively easy, so just ignore my previous comment. I just wanted to throw it out there just in case.

ThaPerculator

Golden Member
May 11, 2001
For building muscle mass quick, all these previous workouts are wonderful. However, if you want to remain flexible/gain flexibility and strength, I would recommend gravity training. I've been doing gravity training for the past two years with some great results in muscle increase + I've gained an enormous amount of flexibility. However, I'm sure your one of the ones who just wants muscle mass quick and relatively easy, so just ignore my previous comment. I just wanted to throw it out there just in case.

You can easily incorporate flexibility training into resistance training. Hell, Bruce Lee did it. He lifted every day, along with his other workout routines. A lot, if not most, of professional martial artists incorporate some form of resistance training into their workout.

Lifting weights does not equal getting huge and bulky. Choose your workout based on what you want to get out of it. If you want to get huge, do it. If you just want to add strength, do it. If you want to tone, do it. If you want all three, have fun living in the gym :D

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002

You can easily incorporate flexibility training into resistance training. Hell, Bruce Lee did it. He lifted every day, along with his other workout routines. A lot, if not most, of professional martial artists incorporate some form of resistance training into their workout.

Lifting weights does not equal getting huge and bulky. Choose your workout based on what you want to get out of it. If you want to get huge, do it. If you just want to add strength, do it. If you want to tone, do it. If you want all three, have fun living in the gym :D

All of the martial artists I train with use gravity training. Weight lifting kills your flexibility, and flexibility training + weight lifting = no change in flexibility. I'm sure grapplers use weight lifting because flexibility doesn't matter to them, but most serious hand&foot artists use gravity training. They even took us through the routines of gravity training at the TKD Olympic Training Center this past year. But, I'm sure if you spent your life in a gym, you could find away to gain strength and flexibility even with the incorporation of weight lifting.

ThaPerculator

Golden Member
May 11, 2001
Weight training and gravity training are one and the same. RESISTANCE TRAINING. Just because the resistance comes from iron instead of gravity, it is the same resistance. Use weight according to what you want to accomplish. If you want to do max reps, use light weight and burn the hell out of yourself.

And I doubt anyone you know would argue that Bruce Lee wasn't in great shape :D

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
www.ast-ss.com if you want to get big. I've gained 25 pounds of muscle and kept it doing variations of this routine:

Monday - Legs
-------------
Squats
Legpress
Romanian Deadlift (hits Hams nicely)
Leg Curls
Any 2 exercises for calves

Tuesday - Chest/Abs
-------------
Bench Press, bar or dumbbell
Incline Press, bar or dumbbell
Decline Press, machine or bar
Weighted Cable crunches
Weighted Leg lifts

Weds - Back/Traps
-------------
Deadlift (Sumo Stance)
Lat pulldown w/V bar
Pullups
Bent over Barbell row
Seated Cable Row w/wide grip
Dumbbell or Bar Shrugs

Thursday - Shoulders/Tri's
-------------
Dumbbell Shoulder press
Military Press barbell
Dumbbell Side Laterals
Tri Cable press downs
Seated Overhead Tri Press

Fri - Bi's/Abs
--------------
Barbell curl
Dumbbell curl
Dumbbell hammers
Weighted Cable crunches
Weighted Leg lifts

Weekends - off unless you need to do cardio and want to tone.
Notes: Be sure to get at least 1g protein/1lb bodyweight a day. I usually take 4 protein shakes/day along with 3 meals. All workouts usually take 1 hour to 1:15, depending on how much I BS with buds at the gym.
-Rob

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

Because if you are going more for toning, you don't want to do lower reps/higher weight. I would reccommend doing a final "killer" set of max reps with a lower weight, but that takes too much time.

Squats arent a workout?? YOUR AN IDIOT. Squats are one of the, if not arguably, best exercises you can do. They work an insane amount of muscles in conjunction with each other, and factor in balance, control, etc. If you don't think squats are a workout in itself, use heavier weight and come back. Once you start getting "down in the hole" (common squat term for absolute low point) you will absolutely love squats.

People that have problems doing squats are either not doing them right, or are total whiners. Squats take a minute to learn, months to master. It's all about finding exactly at what point your muscles kick in, etc. and how to "memorize" the correct form that is tailored to your body. Squats are only bad for your knees if you do them wrong.

alrighty there, sparky!

Toning? seriously, if someone just wants to 'tone' up it's not about weights at all, just run and do aerobics. If you want to build strength or endurance, lift heavy or lift long.

Squats are an exercise....if you are just going to the gym and doing squats as a workout and leaving that's just a waste for most people. Nice that you continue to fight on, when you were wrong in the word you used, keep going. Many cannot do squats (effectively) due to a bad back, knees and even shoulders (some can't rock their hands back enough)...Leg Press is the alternative and still pretty good.

Å

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

You are really over-exaggrating a lot of things. Bringing up Bruce Lee is one of these things, for that man training was his life just like *pro* martial artists, for most people they don't have the time to do it all.

However, for the normal man with about 30-45mins to kill a day you can do a 3 day split with 2-3 days of flex/cardio training. If you have 2 hours of decent time you can do martial arts and the rest...before the real world I trained about 4-6 hours a day in martial arts, flexibility, cardio, and weights plus sports.

Å

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: dtyn

All of the martial artists I train with use gravity training. Weight lifting kills your flexibility, and flexibility training + weight lifting = no change in flexibility. I'm sure grapplers use weight lifting because flexibility doesn't matter to them, but most serious hand&foot artists use gravity training. They even took us through the routines of gravity training at the TKD Olympic Training Center this past year. But, I'm sure if you spent your life in a gym, you could find away to gain strength and flexibility even with the incorporation of weight lifting.

?!? even ancient martial artists did strength training by moving weights. I don't know where or how you get the weight training = muscle-bound...that line of thinking died in the 60's.

You did say all of the martial artists you train with use gravity training.....however are you saying absolutely none train with weights? I find that laughable if so.

What art is this even? What level are the artists?

Å

Clocker

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
all the advice that is give is good but remeber create or design a routine you will be motivated to stick with. i really think that is the hardest part of bodybuilding is going to the gym if you arent hardcore.

i rather have a pizza then lift personall but i force myself 3x a week and no more damnit :)

Clocker

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
all the advice that is give is good but remeber create or design a routine you will be motivated to stick with. i really think that is the hardest part of bodybuilding is going to the gym if you arent hardcore.

i rather have a pizza then lift personall but i force myself 3x a week and no more damnit :)

lastig21

Platinum Member
Oct 23, 2000
My motiviation is getting to the gym early enough to turn my 75 minute drive to the office into a 25 minute drive. The gym is very close to the office, and the extra time can be spent more productively. Thanks all for the help.