Help me chose a video card

DaLeroy

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2000
Hi guys

I'm building a new rig, witha XP 1800+ with 256 MB DDR and need some recommendations on a video card. I'm in Australia so prices over here are a lot higher than US.

My options are:

Hercules AIW 7500 OEM for about $200 (US Dollars) - Very interested in this one, but a bit worried it will be too slow for games. Play a lot of CS, DOD, and FPS, Serious Sam 2 etc. Will this card be able to handle 1024x768 and above ok?

ATI 8500LE 64 MB DDR for about $200 US Dollars.

Or a Geforce 3 Ti200 for 128mb for about $150 US Dollars.

The features on the AIW are very attractive, but the reviews seems to point it to the same speed as a Geforce 4 MX (not super quick) and the AIW 8500 is WAAAY out of my price range. Also, being OEM, does it come with the software for the TV Tuner etc?

Thanks guys

Willoughbyva

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
Here is a review aiw 7500 review
That is not an OEM review so I'm not sure what the difference would be. Open gl did pretty good.

I have the regular retail "built by ati" 7500 aiw card and I played a demo of serious sam2 at 1024X768 and didn't have any problems. I guess the newest game I play on it is spiderman the movie and it runs pretty good with settings on high. I noticed today on one of the latter levels with a lot of rain in it that it had a second or two of choppyness. Just for a brief second, I wondered if I really saw it or not. That was playing at 1024X768 also.

I'm wasn't a big gammer so I really didn't want an expensive card. I will upgrade probably next spring sometime if life permits. If you can wait a couple months until the newer cards come out- these cards you mentioned will be even cheaper. I'll probably buy this falls card next spring if I can.

Good luck.

Will

P.S. I don't know if these cards will even play doom3 and other games yet to be released(probably not very good), that is why I figure I will upgrade next spring. I love the other features of the aiw7500 like tv and stuff.

Willoughbyva

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
BTW you might want to check out the for-sale / trade forum here. I don't use it, but I hear good things from others **most** of the time.

Will