HELP me choosing Memory for NOCTUA NH-D15 PLEASE!

Apocalypto

Jun 2, 2014

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
I found that the front fans effect on the cooler was minimal. 1 or 2 degrees at best, but the only way I could mount it was slightly raised, even with standard height ram.

I'm now using that 2nd fan as an exhaust. I don't think my original fan had the airflow to cover both the CPU fan at full blast and exhaust enough heat from the GPU area.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I was going to buy these RAM below, but 4x8gb to do the quad channel.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...hannel-kit-white-cmk16gx4m2b32-my-486-cs.html

What is worrying me is that I've read this below: http://noctua.at/en/sip_productfaqnew/productfaq/view/id/100

That Noctua recommends using standard height RAM (up to 32mm).

Anyone knows if that Corsair ram I want how much height does it have please and if it will fit properly or not because of the dual fans of the CPU Cooler please?

The ram in the link looks like low profile ram. My guess is that you shouldn't have any problems with them and the Noctua.

Apocalypto

Jun 2, 2014
Thank you so much for your info, so it will fit well?

I found that the front fans effect on the cooler was minimal. 1 or 2 degrees at best, but the only way I could mount it was slightly raised, even with standard height ram.

I'm now using that 2nd fan as an exhaust. I don't think my original fan had the airflow to cover both the CPU fan at full blast and exhaust enough heat from the GPU area.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
It only fit well after removing the first fan. Check my sig for mobo and ram type.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
Can't right now. Too ill to even type without pressing the wrong keys and making constant mistakes. Opening the computer would prove too frustrating and possibly lead to damage.

Just imagine the cooler with only one fan in the middle. The ram is close enough to obstruct placing the first fan properly, but without it the airflow from the CPU cooler fan pulls air over the top of the ram.

If the 2nd fan was in place, the airflow would miss the ram completely. I also have a top mounted fan to blow cool air directly in front of the CPU cooler.

Apocalypto

Jun 2, 2014
I see don't worry :) Get well soon!

Not sure if I am saying a bad thing but I have H440 NZXT by razer and it has 3 fans at the front, so they will blow air to the ram am I right?

Can't right now. Too ill to even type without pressing the wrong keys and making constant mistakes. Opening the computer would prove too frustrating and possibly lead to damage.

Just imagine the cooler with only one fan in the middle. The ram is close enough to obstruct placing the first fan properly, but without it the airflow from the CPU cooler fan pulls air over the top of the ram.

If the 2nd fan was in place, the airflow would miss the ram completely. I also have a top mounted fan to blow cool air directly in front of the CPU cooler.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
Yes but you have to consider the airflow. a fan will redirect direct airflow through it. It could potentially create a deadzone where my ram is in my case if I used both fans on the CPU cooler.

For the 1-2 degree difference, the 2nd fan isn't worth it for me. better placed as an exhaust.

Apocalypto

Jun 2, 2014
Oh I understand now... Thanks man!

Regarding the speed is it ok if I go with that type of ram and do a quad channel? Or I go with 2x16gb 3200mhz instead of the 4x8gb 3200mhz?

Thank you

Yes but you have to consider the airflow. a fan will redirect direct airflow through it. It could potentially create a deadzone where my ram is in my case if I used both fans on the CPU cooler.

For the 1-2 degree difference, the 2nd fan isn't worth it for me. better placed as an exhaust.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
3200 is only really needed to get the most out of skylake. Even a slower quad will give you more bandwidth than dual at 3200. Are they not both 3200 anyway?

XLer8or

Mar 18, 2002
I have the NH-D14 which is similar in design. Due to the metal brackets mounting to the front of Heat sink you can mount the fan higher if need. Just slides up a little. The fan sits higher but makes for better RAM clearance.

Here is a example with NH-D15:
6313_26_noctua_nh_d15_cpu_cooler_review.jpg

Apocalypto

Jun 2, 2014
I am not using skylake though, I am using Broadwell Edoesnt make difference right?

3200 is only really needed to get the most out of skylake. Even a slower quad will give you more bandwidth than dual at 3200. Are they not both 3200 anyway?

Apocalypto

Jun 2, 2014
Perfect picture :)

I really appreciate your help! Thank you very much!

I have the NH-D14 which is similar in design. Due to the metal brackets mounting to the front of Heat sink you can mount the fan higher if need. Just slides up a little. The fan sits higher but makes for better RAM clearance.

Here is a example with NH-D15:
6313_26_noctua_nh_d15_cpu_cooler_review.jpg