help me choose

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Lava, before returning it please check the stock volts on that. I mean, 1100MHz core at 1.05v is a lot different than 1100MHz at 1.25v y'know? I am just curious what the stock volts on the Powercolor was in order for them to clock that high... it should give a clue as to whether it is a binned part or not.

Feb 4, 2009
Sorry I noticed this late, the only card I've ever had fail on me was a power color X850 "Evil Commando". Lasted about 14 month's no over clocking.

spinejam

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2005
I don't understand how these companies can release these products with such half-ass manufacturing and some just flat-out defective. I have come across several gpu's lately that have loose / missing screws as well. Now if these cards were $30.00 -- I wouldn't give two shits! But, when paying $400 / $500 ...there should be some semblance of Q/C present.

As such, I usually try to stick w/ Asus / MSI / Evga for my videocard purchases. Not that any of them are perfect -- just less of the aforementioned nonsense.

gl w/ your lightning! :)

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
I don't understand how these companies can release these products with such half-ass manufacturing and some just flat-out defective. I have come across several gpu's lately that have loose / missing screws as well. Now if these cards were $30.00 -- I wouldn't give two shits! But, when paying $400 / $500 ...there should be some semblance of Q/C present.

As such, I usually try to stick w/ Asus / MSI / Evga for my videocard purchases. Not that any of them are perfect -- just less of the aforementioned nonsense.

gl w/ your lightning! :)

ASUS has had missing screws on GTX 670's: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670_Direct_Cu_II/4.html

It also had some GPU contact problems on its initial batch of 7970 DirectCUII models.

No manufacturer is perfect.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Lava, before returning it please check the stock volts on that. I mean, 1100MHz core at 1.05v is a lot different than 1100MHz at 1.25v y'know? I am just curious what the stock volts on the Powercolor was in order for them to clock that high... it should give a clue as to whether it is a binned part or not.

it was 1.17v, one of the first things I looked into.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
I hope it comes early enough tomorrow because I have my bachelor party tomorrow night. I will be a married man in a little over a week.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
it was 1.17v, one of the first things I looked into.

Thanks. Doesn't seem as impressive, then. Hope the Lightning works out for you!

I hope it comes early enough tomorrow because I have my bachelor party tomorrow night. I will be a married man in a little over a week.

And here you worrying about hardware at a time like this? That's dedication, unless your soon-to-be-wife is also into video cards. Hehe.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004

Ahhaaa, there's the reason you can get away with so many GPU purchases....hehe!....Mine was a new car before getting married!

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007

Fok man, first the Powercolor, now this? Jesus save your life with a 7970 Dual X or a 680 already.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Welcome to the world of matrimonial bliss.
My wife has has put up with me for over 38 years despite myself!;)

Hope your wife likes video cards!

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
The powercolor card is binned too aggressively. That said, they should be testing these cards and doing a better job with their QA.

I feel bad for recommending it, but really these problems seem relatively common with the highly overclocked cards. EVGA has been having similar issues with their GTX 670s and they are a top-notch manufacturer.

Good luck with the Lightning, OP. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
The powercolor card is binned too aggressively. That said, they should be testing these cards and doing a better job with their QA.

I feel bad for recommending it, but really these problems seem relatively common with the highly overclocked cards. EVGA has been having similar issues with their GTX 670s and they are a top-notch manufacturer.

Good luck with the Lightning, OP. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
I keep hearing low yields with the 28nm process and I think IMO it's to much to soon for Nvidia to go this far from Fermi unless Intel is really giving them a helping hand even then apparently it's not enough as reflected buy an low supply of what then even have in there two high end card and a completely absent mid and low range. What a marketing joke these new Kepler cards are.