Help me choose my broadband provider

Braves

Banned
Dec 16, 2001
After years of 56k i'm finally gonna make the switch to broadband (now that i can pay for it myself and our prodigy contract is gonna expire). The only problem is i've heard the providers around my area are pretty much garbage. @home has turned to crap since it went attbi, and the prices are going up and up past what i want to pay anyways. Ive checked DSLreports and things like that, and i'm looking at DSL Extreme, SPeakeasy.net, and Pac Bell right now. If Astound was in my area it'd be no competition but unfortunately they aren't quite here yet. Speakeasy.net reports me at 11,770 feet from the neighborhood CO, how bad is that and how much would I suffer? They are offering ADSL and SDSL for my home. Pac Bell is horrible I heard from some but others said it was very good. My last choice I think is DSLExtreme, which I know nothing about. My area code is 94596. please help :)

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Some clients of mine have DSL via Speakeasy and report being very happy with it.

However,if you'd like the ease of setup of cable broadband, check out RCN,they are reliable and quite a bit cheaper than Attbi, pm me if you're interested,lol,I can get a credit for referals :)

Braves

Banned
Dec 16, 2001
We apologize, RCN does not offer service in your area at this time. Please contact us at 1.800.RING.RCN (800.746.4726) for additional information.

:( I've just gone through speakeasy's tests and they're asking for 60$ a month now for anythign over like 30k download, so nevermind about that

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
i dont know if it was the old house telephone wiring or what not, but when i had dsl, i was 7340 feet away from my CO and getting ~1.2-1.3Mbps from pacbell adsl (pppoe)