Question Help me choose memory upgrade

jfelano

Oct 25, 2009
Hi folks, really out of the loop these day's on PC parts compatibility so need some help. I currently have a 4x2GB kit and looking to upgrade to a 8x2GB kit.

I have a AMD Ryzen 5 2400G and a AMD B450 motherboard.

I don't know what XMP profile and all that means or if it even relates to AMD systems but will the below kit work? What speed would I set it to run at? 2400? 3000?

Will the below memory kit work?

Feb 4, 2009
First off listen to people who are experts, I am just knowledgeable.
I recommend you post your motherboards vendor & model number so we all know what it is
Second, check out the motherboards website and typically under “support” you will find compatible ram or go to a major vendor and use their search feature.
Finally if within your budget consider going to 32GB instead of 16GB. Feels like we are entering the 32GB age.

Jul 27, 2020
Will the below memory kit work?
No. That's laptop memory. (Apparently, it's desktop. CL16 looks good. No experience with that brand though)

Get this if your budget allows. It's CL16 so it should give you great performance in games. Usually most other brands will give you CL18 which is slower. Of course, you can find something even better than CL16 but that's only if you have a really deep wallet.

OTOH, this is cheaper and more suited for your iGPU due to higher bandwidth.

EDIT: Mistake corrected.

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
No. That's laptop memory.

Get this if your budget allows. It's CL16 so it should give you great performance in games. Usually most other brands will give you CL18 which is slower. Of course, you can find something even better than CL16 but that's only if you have a really deep wallet.

OTOH, this is cheaper and more suited for your iGPU due to higher bandwidth.
Huh? The link OP provided says it is a desktop DDR4 kit. That said, I probably wouldn't trust the 3rd party seller.

Anyway, I would recommend buying direct from Newegg or Amazon.