Help me choose a graphics card

sneakybit

Aug 20, 2008
I really don't know which way to go. :confused:

So my monitor is a 22" widescreen Samsung SyncMaster 226BW (Checked Samsung Panel), the games I play mostly is Bioshock, Sims2, Unreal Tournament 3 and maybe I'll get the new Crysis Warhead game.

Initially I was going for the GTX280, then decided it was a bit too expensive and not that overwhelming in performance.

So it's up between a GTX260 and an ATI 4870 1GB card.

The ATI card sure sounds and looks tasty :cookie: but is it the right choice for me?

Every review I read, including the X-Bit Labs review of the ATI 4870 Vs nV GTX260, the resolutions reviewed are not how I play my games so I find it frustrating to decide which is the better card for me.

Can anyone help me out. I'm hopeless. :wine:

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
Do a search for the ATI 4800 series review thread. It will link you to a ton of reviews pitting the 4870 against the GTX 260. Most reviews give the edge to the 4870, especially when you turn up the AA. As you can see from my sig, that's the card I decided to get but you can see for yourself looking at the reviews.

Narynan

Jul 9, 2008
Ok, I can only help you as best I can with a choice that is yours.

I asked this same question to myself roughly 2 months ago when I built my new system, and I built it around knowing I was going to use two video cards. So I had a lot to coinsider.

Know this though, I decided to go with the 4850 and with crossfire in mind for the future. I have been completly happy with my choice. Given the choice only between the two cards, I can say that the only reason I would choose the 260 over the 4870 is the preformance in UT3. I play it as well, but on just my q6600 @ 3.2 and the 4850 I have never seen the framerate drop below 45. And thats in the heaviest firefights.

If you have only a single slot PCI-E slot, I would say, the 4870 is the winner for you.
But, if you have a dual slot, go with whatever you board can take two of. Because that means IF you can/will go that route you dont need to worry about non-compatibility.

Either way, both cards are fantastic, but I could not be happier with my 4850.

sneakybit

Aug 20, 2008
Thanks Elfear and Narynan!

I have read a few reviews and I think that maybe the superclocked / overclocked EVGA or BFG GTX260 is a better choice for me.

Now which one to choose, the superclocked EVGA or the overclocked BFG?!

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
EVGA 260, OC the crap out of it, register for step-up in case you get the itch.

4870 wont do bad either. But get the Visiontek, as they are the only partner I will go with when I buy ATi again.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
You can get a factory overclocked GTX260 with a full warranty that will be better than a 4870. Not too mention it runs cooler and has PhysX support.

There is also a "refresh' of the 260 coming that could improve performance 20% without adding to the cost.

Janooo

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2005
OP, make sure you have big enough case if you go with 260. 4870 is shorter.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
For 1680x1050 Resolution, I'd consider saving $100 and getting a 4850. You can put $100 towards the next upgrade or for a 2nd 4850. Having said that if you care for PhysX and overclocking, go for the NV card. If you care for AA performance (i.e. 8AA), DX10.1 (moot point really) get the ATI card. In any case 4870 1GB isnt out yet so you are really comparing the 512mb version to GTX 260.

sneakybit

Aug 20, 2008
Originally posted by: Wreckage
You can get a factory overclocked GTX260 with a full warranty that will be better than a 4870. Not too mention it runs cooler and has PhysX support.

There is also a "refresh' of the 260 coming that could improve performance 20% without adding to the cost.

:D Excellent I'll go for the EVGA Superclocked edition. I guess the EVGA GTX260 Superclocked probably won't be really much slower than the new revised 'GTX270' or whatever nV decides to call it.

sneakybit

Aug 20, 2008
Originally posted by: Janooo
OP, make sure you have big enough case if you go with 260. 4870 is shorter.

I have a new Antec P182 Gun Metal Black Case coming so I can accommodate a GTX260 :D

With the nV GTX260 having the PhysX engine. I think it would work out well.

sneakybit

Aug 20, 2008
Originally posted by: RussianSensation
For 1680x1050 Resolution, I'd consider saving $100 and getting a 4850. You can put $100 towards the next upgrade or for a 2nd 4850. Having said that if you care for PhysX and overclocking, go for the NV card. If you care for AA performance (i.e. 8AA), DX10.1 (moot point really) get the ATI card. In any case 4870 1GB isnt out yet so you are really comparing the 512mb version to GTX 260.

I think I'm going to stick with nV. The current 8800GTS 640MB I have has served me really well. So I think I'm going to stick to the nV brand this time.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: sneakybit

:D Excellent I'll go for the EVGA Superclocked edition. I guess the EVGA GTX260 Superclocked probably won't be really much slower than the new revised 'GTX270' or whatever nV decides to call it.

If it is slower you can always use the EVGA step up program. :thumbsup:

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001

You are actually listening to wreckage? :eek:

His views are are screwed towards Nvidia like no other.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Azn

Not cool. What did he say that wasn't true? If he said something off the wall, then I'd agree with you.

sneakybit

Aug 20, 2008

I have an open mind. So the ATI HD4870 is a better choice? I'm trying not to be skewed, ready to listen.

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003

Not cool. What did he say that wasn't true? If he said something off the wall, then I'd agree with you.

ROFL....I agree with YOU keys....LOL!!!

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
You'll be fine either way. You lean towards nV then by all means get a GTX260. You can't go wrong with either company.

sneakybit

Aug 20, 2008
Thanks for everyone's views and help. Really glad I found this forum with so many people willing to help out.

I guess I also fee like I want to give ATI a chance.
Seem to always want to support the underdog.
At the same time I've had an 8800GTS for nearly 2 years and it's been great.
I'm going to flip a coin on Qbah advice.

:thumbsup: