Discussion Help making a Budget r5 5600g gaming build

johanettemeakin

Sep 21, 2021
Originally, I planned on purchasing an R5 3600 with a 1660 super, but since GPU costs haven't dropped significantly, I'll have to settle with an APU.

I want to use this chip mostly for gaming (Valorant, Rocket League, GTA V, etc. ), but not for anything too high-intensity, as this chip has its limitations. I don't need to perform any photo or video editing; all I have to do is game and do some academics.

As this is my first construction, I'd appreciate some advice and recommendations. My current setup is as follows:

R5 5600g CPU/GPU
Mobo: This is where I require assistance. I realise that certain motherboards require a bios update, but are there any that do it out of the box?

Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB ddr4-3600 memory

WD blue Sn550 1TB NVME SSD storage

Case: I'm considering the NZXT H510 Mid Tower, but I'm open to ideas.

Power supply: EVGA 600W 80+ Bronze semi modular (I realise it's excessive for this APU, but I'll be able to maintain the psu until I acquire a GPU).

I'm now playing Grand Theft Auto V or Warzone. Please recommend this game with high graphics.

Any assistance would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I have used all the hardware on your list except the ram. All good bang for buck.

On the board: Buy 5 series, from a high volume retailer or e-tailer and you should have no worries. Pick a board with USB-C front header if that matters to you. Since the H510 includes it. I personally like having it for my various USB-C devices.

Everything you listed, except warzone will be good at 1080p blended settings. I do suggest buying a better cooler, as it will make a nice difference over the stock one, on both thermals and noise. I have been happy with the one click overclocking in the new Radeon software too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arkaign

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Mother board suggestion ( I have it wishlisted as my goto if I build an AMD system):
Gigabyte B550M AORUS PRO-P

Don't mistake it for the older board with similar name, this one has much upgraded VRM, and very nice rear panel with loads of USB, and Bios flash button, so you can flash if it doesn't work with your CPU. Good value for what is included IMO.
Great point on picking a board with a version of bios flashback.

Feb 4, 2009
Looks good to me only thing I would change provided budget allows would be 32GB of ram vs 16GB.
16 is enough for now but likely won’t be enough for much longer plus when ddr4 gets phased out the cost will explode.
If possible I would go two 16GB sticks.
3200 ddr is good enough if you are looking to save a little.

Edit: for gaming more ram nearly always wins performance vs fast ram.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirtualLarry

MadScientist

Platinum Member
Jul 15, 2001
Mother board suggestion ( I have it wishlisted as my goto if I build an AMD system):
Gigabyte B550M AORUS PRO-P

Don't mistake it for the older board with similar name, this one has much upgraded VRM, and very nice rear panel with loads of USB, and Bios flash button, so you can flash if it doesn't work with your CPU. Good value for what is included IMO.
Gigabyte's Q-Flash Plus Update BIOS without Installing the CPU, Memory and Graphics Card feature is a big plus. I had to use my 3600 and a graphics card to update the bios on my Asrock B550M Pro4 to flash it to a bios that supported my 5600G.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Warzone is going to be basically unplayable on that, as the APU can only approximate GT1030ish levels of performance plus or minus a little depending on game.

I say this because I tried a few games on a prebuilt 5700U rig we got at the office, and even at 720p scaling and all minimum settings (hideously ugly) it was frame pacing stumble city and lots of tearing and input lag. The OEM had 16GB DDR4 3000 cheapo ram, two sticks at least, but the experience was terrible. Apex was even worse and outright unplayable. Valorant is better but will definitely put you at a disadvantage. GTAV runs absolutely fine and you won't have to set it to 'potato'.

I still think it's a fine choice because you can at least get something built and enjoy the games that do run well on it, but perhaps when you get a chance, put a WTB in the FS/FT section for a used 1050ti, GTX 960 4GB, something in that range should eventually pop up in the $125-$150 range (we have awesome people in there, I just scored an R9 290 4GB Tri-X for $110 which is in that general performance range!). It will be a HUGE uplift and actually get you playable 1080p medium warzone performance.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER