Question Help. I'm Confused about QVL and Z390 and Z490 memory upgrade?

Mark_Venture

Dec 7, 2010
I don't completely understand the QVL list, and how it works. I mean, my understanding is that if memory is listed on it, the mother board maker is saying it will work in that configuration. What I don't know is what if the memory, or memory configuration is not? Will it work, but just was not tested and therefore might have problems?

Why I'm asking... When I built my i9 10900K system (Asus Prime Z490-A board), 16 gig was enough and I ordered a G.SKILL 16GB (2x 8GB) - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200MHz CL4 F4-3200C14D-16GVK as it was on the QVL list posted on Asus's web site for this board (and the downloadable PDF). BUT now I'd like to go to 32Gig. On Asus QVL list, this kit says "sockets 1, 2". And isn't listed for 32gig configurations.

Would I be better off pulling the 16gig I have in there and buying a 32gig kit on the QVL list for this board? or can I just add another of the same kit, and just go? I know I can get the same 16gig kit for about $100 to $120. I haven't looked at 32gig prices.

To add to the question... I have another system that is an i7 8700K on an Asus Prime Z390-A board with G.SKILL 16GB (2x 8GB) - G.Skill Ripjaws V Series F4-3200C16D-16GVGB memory that is being used as my Plex server, with a MySQL server on it for KODI. While it doesn't really need more menory, the F4-3200C14D-16GVK (currently in the Z490) is on the Z390's QVL. I realize the timings are different... BUT if the best upgrade for the Z490 was to pull the 16gig out of it in favor of buying a 32gig kit for it, can I add that 16gig to the Z390 and just run at the slower timings or would I run into problems?

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
If the memory isn't listed on the QVL it hasn't been tested by the motherboard manufacturer. This usually leads to newer and larger capacity RAMs not being listed on QVL, since they came out after the motherboard was developed. For the most part RAM should work as long as it's run at JEDEC timings. If running XMP it may or may not reach rated timings/speeds, depending on the motherboard/cpu and memory chips used in the RAM. Personally, I don't worry about it unless the platform is known to be picky, i.e. zen/zen+.

FYI, you can get the same kit to run 4x8gb at cas14 if the low cas latency is important to you, though there are 32gb ddr4 3200 kits with 16-18-18-38 or 3600 kits with 18-22-22-42 timings for ~$130.

If you do mix RAM kits, you can probably run the mismatched kits at 3200 with the slower timings, or try overclocking the slower kit to match the faster kit. However, sometimes you have to drop to even slower speeds/timings if the motherboard doesn't like the configuration at 4x8gb, though that's usually only a problem on lower end boards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark_Venture

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
OP,

To add a bit of support for the first part of your question......Either way you're likely fine. Asus Z490 boards aren't that finicky. The fact that it is/isn't on the list is really only an issue with lesser-known/niche memory brands, or EXTREME timings/Speed. Considering ALL the enthusiast Z490 boards (Gigabyte/Aurous, Asus, MSI, EVGA etc.) run stable at far above DDR4000, I'd be surprised if you can't get the G.Skill to run at rated speed and timings with MAYBE just a minor voltage boost..

for the second question.....fralexandr is spot-on

M