Help! I think my home router is dying!

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
I have a TP-Link TL-WDR600. I'd like to think it's an ok router, and fairly "new", but looks like after just a few years of use it's already dying. My internet connection randomly dies throughout the day, and the only way to get it back it to turn off the router and turn it back on again.

Strangely, today, my internet stays on, but the wi-fi works like crap. I did a speedtest, and it was jerky, going up and down like crazy. My wired connection tested within a normal range, although the upload speeds were 10 Mbps lower than normal. The wi-fi on the other hand is horrible as already mentioned.

What gives? You think this thing is dying or is there anything else I can check before I toss it in the garbage bin and buy a new one?

Things already done:

1)Updated firmware to the latest version.
2)Reset all settings.
3)Powered off and on multiple times.

If all else fails, can someone please recommend me a new router? I live in a one bedroom NYC apartment and need the signal strong enough to go through a few sheet rock walls into both rooms. Something you know to be reliable? Hopefully...

Reactions: tempestglen

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Thank you, Jack! You are always helpful, and very knowledgeable. I remember talking to you around 6-8 years ago. You helped me several times in the past, and you keep helping countless people now. Stay awesome!

Reactions: VirtualLarry

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Check some low hanging fruit too like tightness on the antennae. You might try forcing transmit power to low just to see if SNR improves. Change channels because someone could have moved in and brought an unfriendly AP with them.

Reactions: ibex333

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
LOL at that description. What's next, "router wars"? (Ok, ok, there is in some places an "escalation of transmit power" on routers, but yes, that would indeed be a bit "unfriendly".)

Well, some of the newer Asus routers do look like Transformers. Maybe the new neighbor's one is a Decepticon. ;)

ASUS-ROG-Rapture-Photo-view-angle-2-800x584.jpg

Although, when we had a new family move in next to us, I had to change my router's channels because they were using the same ones, and it was causing issues on the side of the house closest to them.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
While No one here would mistake a Kids' Plastic Cars for a Real cars.
Iit seems that when it come to Technology many lack the knowledge to distinguish between Plastic and Real Hardware.

:cool:

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Could be the power brick. Those tend to go after 3 years. If you like your current router, you could look for a replacement brick on ebay. (I've had to do that before, for routers that I thought were "dying". Worked great.)

Larry, that did it! I found another adapter of similar voltage and amperage and the router seems rock stable for now! Going strong two hours without any drops or slowdowns.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You're welcome. Always willing to share some tricks of the trade with fellow members. :)

Edit: If you decide to go looking for a replacement power brick on ebay, just keep a few things in mind:

1) Sometimes, you can find ORIGINAL OEM power bricks, new surplus, from a US Seller. This is the preferred route, although it may be twice the cost of the cheapest route.

2) Sometimes, you can find EQUIVALENT power bricks, new surplus, from a US Seller. This is the next step down.

3) The last step that you want to make, is buying a "used" power brick, from a US Seller, OR, a "new" equivalent power brick, from a Chinese seller. Both of these can be hit or miss, and it can even be a safety issue that could affect your homeowner's insurance, if you deploy a Chinese power brick that lacks appropriate (valid, official, not faked) safety certifications. (There's a reason I only use UL-listed or equivalent Safety-certified PSUs in builds. Not worth getting sued over lesser PSUs.)

Edit: Not to take anything away from Jack's advice, he has more experience and knowledge than I do, BY FAR!

I just happened to know "this one little router trick".

Last edited:

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
By the way, is there any reason for me to upgrade if I am already getting around 150Mbps both on wired and wireless? (pretty much my max download speed on the ISP plan)

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
By the way, is there any reason for me to upgrade if I am already getting around 150Mbps both on wired and wireless? (pretty much my max download speed on the ISP plan)
No. Unless you want faster wireless LAN to LAN file sharing/transfer.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
No, but I would go down a checklist, and see if your current router is up-to-date in these areas:

1) Robust IPv6 support - mostly necessary if you are a Comcast customer, although other Cable ISPs are rolling out IPv6, as is Verizon FIOS (finally!)

2) VPN client and server support - necessary only if you use this connection for work, or want to use a VPN from a coffee shop hotspot or something for added security. This usually requires a semi-beefy dual-core or better CPU in the router, to get any type of real speed over VPN.

3) Firmware patched for the "Krack" vulnerability for WPA2-PSK.

4) Firmware patched for the "VPNFilter" vulnerability.

5) Preliminary support for WPA3 features, that can be implemented on WPA2 hardware. (*)

(*) I haven't seen this just yet in any factory firmware, but I have read that this is possible, and expect that Asus routers will have that support before too long.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Sorry to hear that that wasn't a perfect fix for your old router.

The "Disney Parental Controls" makes me shudder, but then again, I don't have kids, so maybe that's a feature that parents might want? I'm no fan of "nanny" routers that spy on your URLs, under the guise of "security". Cisco infamously started that feature.

Other than that, that router seems ... unremarkable. No wifi on/off button, and I didn't even see a WPS physical button (the only way WPS should be used, IMHO).

I think that you might be better-served by something like a TP-Link Archer C9 or something.

(IOW, that Netgear looks like a cost-reduced, stripped, generic AC1900 router. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to find out if it had a RealTek chipset inside or something equally generic.)

Any reason not to go for an Asus AC68U or its many variants? (Avoid the "TM" - TMobile version, if you want to flash 3rd-party firmwares.)

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Yeah, it is really sad. It seems that when it comes to Networking the Marketing departments of all Vendors take more advantage of consumers poor knowledge than anything else in Tech.

If you look at the info of the same class Wireless hardware, there is NO difference between one or the other.

They basically provide marketing verbiage of some of the the 3rd party Chipset Data sheets info.

It all about the looks of the External Plastic.

In top of it there is a Trend of misinformation in Amazon pages too.

The page of the NetGear mentioned above.shows it. Click on any of the Devices that can be chosen and notice that amount of Reviews (3065) and the 4.5 Star rating are the same for all from the $55 AC1000 to the $230 AC2600. :confused:-:oops:-:rolleyes:-o_O-:(-:mad:

:cool:

P.S. This Bizarre info about reviews and Stars works this way in almost all the Muli-Choices Pages on Amazon.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Yeah, the Amazon rating system completely sucks if vendor's products are grouped together.

A person can still go down and select "see all reviews", and then select "this item only" to filter the reviews to just the one device.

But I also hate how they initially lump so many different products on one page.

Reactions: ibex333 and mxnerd