Help!! I get stutters in every game.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
Upgrading to Windows 10 might help partially. Though it might even make matters worse. But I'd say it is worth trying.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Before upgrading check if your motherboard supports the CPU that you intend to buy, but also compare the price of that second hand CPU + the price that you may get for your CPU+MB+RAM with the price of a new/newer configuration. Maybe it is better to replace the platform (CPU+MB+RAM).

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I am going to attack this the other way, close all background applications. Maybe one of those is doing some sort of read/write to the HDD or sending some auto save BS over the network. You should probably also run some sort of monitoring software and see if that lag corresponds to a read/write, or some network traffic.

mlc

Jan 22, 2005
so to be clear.. you said your last 3 gpu's have suffered from stuttering? And you've rebuilt /reloaded windows each time?

If that's the case, I would question the slot on the motherboard.. If you have another slot try using that first... Then I would question the power supply... maybe its on its way out.. or simply too weak? (Do you have another you can try swapping in?)

As someone else suggested.. try putting in the card that did work successfully first.. If that no longer works , then you know you have a new problem, relating to your PSU, bad slot, etc..

good luck
Mike

Sunehildeep

Nov 12, 2015
so to be clear.. you said your last 3 gpu's have suffered from stuttering? And you've rebuilt /reloaded windows each time?

If that's the case, I would question the slot on the motherboard.. If you have another slot try using that first... Then I would question the power supply... maybe its on its way out.. or simply too weak? (Do you have another you can try swapping in?)

As someone else suggested.. try putting in the card that did work successfully first.. If that no longer works , then you know you have a new problem, relating to your PSU, bad slot, etc..

good luck
Mike
i bought a new mobo and still getting stuttering and new ram also and a new hdd also

Sunehildeep

Nov 12, 2015
Before upgrading check if your motherboard supports the CPU that you intend to buy, but also compare the price of that second hand CPU + the price that you may get for your CPU+MB+RAM with the price of a new/newer configuration. Maybe it is better to replace the platform (CPU+MB+RAM).

yes my mobo supports it.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
Another explanation could be that you had the same performance with 8400GS, but you did not noticed it or you do not remember.

All the graphics cards that you listed are horrible choices for gaming. Instead of pouring more money into obsolete hardware, you should aim to buy a new (modern/current) PC. Or postpone your game playing until you have at least acceptable hardware.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Another explanation could be that you had the same performance with 8400GS, but you did not noticed it or you do not remember.

All the graphics cards that you listed are horrible choices for gaming. Instead of pouring more money into obsolete hardware, you should aim to buy a new (modern/current) PC. Or postpone your game playing until you have at least acceptable hardware.

I can get behind this.

I used to only be able to afford ~$150 GPUs. I thought I was getting acceptable performance until I saw something better. Was able to make a $250 purchase a year ago or so, and I'm never going back. I'm probably going to be solidly in the ~$400 range for my next purchase now that I have a 1440p monitor and my 760 can't push it quite as well.

And OP's cards are all worse than my cheap ones were.