Help@home

c3p0

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 2000
I just got Comcast@home service installed. I have 2 PC's networked through a router and the cable modem connected to the WAN connector on the router. Both PC's can access the Web through the router. However, I can not access my e-mail accounts on either PC. If I connect my PC directly to the cable modem, it works just fine. Any ideas on what I can do to get this to work through the router?????

PassatVR6

Feb 14, 2001
I had a similar problem with my AT&T @home cable
in Outlook i had the email account setup to access the server: "mail"
but I called @home and they told me to change it to my region's mail server which in my case was : "mail.plano1.tx.home.com"

May 16, 2000
That's a good bet...your systems probably aren't configured with or aren't resolving correctly their suffix search information while hooked to the router. Just fully qualify the mail addresses (in my case vcvr1.wa.home.com - you can check the yellow work order or call in to get yours) and try that.

c3p0

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 2000
Both of you guys are correct. I found the information in a Linksys Router user manual. I bought an "Addtron" router. It works OK, but doesn't have as complete documentation as the Linksys. The manual explains how to "Ping" your mail server to get the full path to it. Now I just have to figure how to leave work early so I can get home and try this. Thanks a ton you guys for pointing me in the right direction.

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
Yep, I had the same problem about a year ago when I got my Linksys router. All you needed to do was get the full server name for the email server. In my case it was mail.cospgs1.co.home.com. Call tech support, they should be able to give it to you.

c3p0

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 2000
Just wanted to complete this thread by thanking you guys again, and to let you know that that was the trick. All is working great now. I just Pinged my mail account and got the full path and entered that in the Account "mail properties". Worked like a charm. Thanks again guys.

May 16, 2000
Hey, never a problem. When I was actually an @Home tech they wouldn't let me fix anything...now that I'm out I'm happy to make things right.