Help, getting spam on my cell!!!

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
Starting last week I'm getting spam on my cell phone via text messages. I don't have "text messages" option on my plan, so I think I have to pay for every incoming text message. This makes me mad. What to do??? I'm thinking about calling the carrier, but I don't know if they can help.

TechnoPro

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2003
Happened to me recently. I fought back and won...in my own way. Story here.

All I did was fire off e-mails to my carrier and to the site hosting the website that was being advertised. Site went down, and for an ego trip, I take credit. Fun part is that I got the spammer's cell phone number (and name, home address, and telephone number) so spamming his cell became fair game.

Hope it doesn't keep happening to you.

cpals

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2001
That happened to me a while ago. My cellphone company just blocked text messages altogether from coming to my phone. Problem fixed.

TheBDB

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2002
Last week I got a picture of a randon girl sent to my phone. WTF is up with that? :confused:

She wasn't even naked :D

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
what kind of "spam" is it? is it ad spam or just random bs spam? could be a bored friend trying to annoy you... there is free txt messaging for sprint and verizon via their websites, so that could be it

TechnoPro

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2003
Originally posted by: bonkers325
what kind of "spam" is it? is it ad spam or just random bs spam? could be a bored friend trying to annoy you... there is free txt messaging for sprint and verizon via their websites, so that could be it

ALL carriers offer text messaging via their websites.

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: TechnoPro

i didnt know that, lol.

is it a free feature? (receiving on phones)

Chebago

Apr 10, 2004
marcyes.com
I got a "big penis" text message the other day, first one ever, kinda scared me, my phone makes some strange noise when it gets text messages that I wasn't used to...my friend always gets the same message in spanish, I don't know why, but I find that funny because it is just incoherent spanish babbling, like the person doesn't even speak spanish.

TechnoPro

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2003
Originally posted by: TechnoPro

i didnt know that, lol.

is it a free feature? (receiving on phones)

I believe that AT&T is the only carrier to offer free incoming SMS standard.

I like those web->mobile sites so that I can fire off a text message without incurring the normal fee it would cost me if I had sent it from my phone. That and I type faster on a real keyboard.

May 9, 2004
someone keeps calling my phone at retarded hours about every two months sounding like a drunken 16 year old girl telling me that i owe $320 on my phone. the odd thing is they know my name. and i never give out my cell and its not listed, blah, blah, blah. its a private number. but the incoherent babbling is familiar.

TechnoPro - consider them served, i may enjoy that for a few weeks.

Regards,
Y.A.F.
:beer:

cucumber

Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by: speed01
Stop eating while you're on the phone.....problem solved...:)

Speed

Oh hell....

I think I'm getting stupider as I go along. After reading this I was about to ask what this has to do with anything. After a little while it hit me. God damn it I'm dumb........ :confused:

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Argo
Starting last week I'm getting spam on my cell phone via text messages. I don't have "text messages" option on my plan, so I think I have to pay for every incoming text message. This makes me mad. What to do??? I'm thinking about calling the carrier, but I don't know if they can help.

Yeah, don't bother calling the carrier. They cannot help but we here on Anandtech can fix FVCKING EVERYTHING!

Zee

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: FFMCobalt

Yeah, don't bother calling the carrier. They cannot help but we here on Anandtech can fix FVCKING EVERYTHING!

LMAO

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
What carrier? With Sprint you can just log on and block entire domains, etc. I've gotten some spam from yahoo and hotmail addresses so I blocked both domains. This was I can still get SMS from people I actually know.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
Originally posted by: FFMCobalt

Go take a shower. Because you obviously have some sand stuck in your v@gina. There are 100,000 members on this board, somebody must had similar thing happen to them. And if you, j@ck@ss, bothered to read the entire thread you would realize that it did, in fact, happen, and they did give me advice.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Don't delete the messages; you'll need them to prove that they were unsoliceted advertising. I would suggest you call your phone company and inform them that you received advertising you did not request on your phone, and as such wish to have the charges removed and all future incoming messages blocked, provided they charge you for incoming SMS. If they waffle tell them that you are considering suing and unless they can tell you the legal contact information for the company that spammed you it's going to be them you sue. If they keep it up ask to talk to a manager. They should be able to find who sent the crap.