Question Help Getting EPYCD8-2T to Post

dank_nibs

May 27, 2020
Hi there,

I'm trying to get a server build (ASRock EPYCD8-2T, EPYC 7601, 4 x 16 GB 2666 MHz HMA82GR7AFR4N-VK) to post. I've built plenty of desktops before, but this is my first server-building experience.

It's been a nightmare.

I started with the Supermicro MBD-H11SSL-I-O, but I couldn't get LE1 (indicating proper power delivery) to light up. So I sent it back and decided to give ASRock a try. BMC and power delivery LEDs are behaving as expected, but the power switch doesn't do anything. Fans will not spin up, and no error codes are displayed on the Dr. Debug panel. I've tried shorting the pins, reseating RAM, swapping RAM around, and using only one stick, but I haven't gotten anywhere.

I installed the CPU with a properly adjusted torque wrench, so I don't think the issue is related to the CPU's seating. That being said, I picked up the unit used off of eBay, and I have no way of confirming that it's functional.

I've tried two PSUs—a new, untested 700W server PSU, and a desktop PSU that I know works. No dice.

Any suggestions?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
are both 8 pin cpu plugs populated/plugged in ? Is the ram ECC ?

Googling that part number it appears its ECC. The 2 8 pin plugs is the question. Many PSU's don't have that. Its required,

dank_nibs

May 27, 2020
Thanks for getting back to me! It turned out to be a pretty stupid issue: the torque wrench was faulty. I reinstalled the CPU with the proper torque, and now it's working like a beaut.