Question Help for Nest camera problems

Crockett12

Dec 14, 2013
I don’t know if networking is where this should go but I’m having trouble with my Nest camera’s connected via internet. I have 5 Nest camera’s – all outdoors except for one in the house (next to the router). Every time we lose internet service (seldom) it may be off for a few minutes to several hours. Then when the internet comes back on, I’ve had to jump through the hoops that it takes to originally set up a camera to get the more remote camera’s back on. The camera next to the router seems to come back on by itself and the outdoor camera at my driveway seems to come back on by itself too – but the others never come back on by themselves. It’s becoming infuriating to have to go through the whole process of getting each of the 3 other camera’s back on -- one at a time – as if I’m first installing them!
Why do some camera’s come back on by themselves but not the others?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
There is No real info about your Network and its configuration so it any answer is sort of trial and error.

Since your Indoor and Drive way cameras come back by them-selves, figure out what is the difference in your configuration between them and the other cameras.

Could be Local IPs between wire or Wireless or anything similar.

Image2.jpg

Crockett12

Dec 14, 2013
There is No real info about your Network and its configuration so it any answer is sort of trial and error.

Since your Indoor and Drive way cameras come back by them-selves, figure out what is the difference in your configuration between them and the other cameras.

Could be Local IPs between wire or Wireless or anything similar.

Image2.jpg
The two closest camera's to the router are the two that are wotking -- so, could it be insufficient internet speed?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007

Nest cameras bandwidth usage is very low. 1080p only consumes 1.2Mbps per camera. Could be very low unreliable wifi signal.

Untitled.png

fkoehler

Feb 29, 2008
I don't know if many people here have Nest devices. However, I would think Google would have a forum for Nest products. As someone else said, look at the configuration page for the camera's that start-up properly after network comes back online, and compare against those that don't. Is there some sort of 'Remember settings' checkbox that was not set?

Alternatively, swap one of the good devices with a bad one, drop the network and see if the same thing happens, or if the good one now does not come back online, and the bad one does. If so, it might be related to wireless strength.