Help finding the "appropriate" video card

clevere1

May 11, 2003
Hello all.
First, thanks for taking time out of your day to read this thread.

Let me tell you the situation.

I am in a specific testing environment that requires video cards to have certain functionality. As of late it has been troublesome finding a video card that works the way we need it to work all the time.

We have multiple machines with multiple video cards. Mainly ATI/AMD cards because they seem to work consistently.

We've purchased Nvidia cards in the past. Ones with dual DVI-I ports, but they seem to either work with digital or analog only .. you can't seem to mix display types (Like 1 VGA monitor on 1 port and 1 DVI display on another)

We had a bad display kill our HD4670 video card so a replacement was ordered. A Asus 6450. The card has a VGA port, HDMI Port and DVI-I port.

We use the VGA port for VGA displays and the DVI-I port for displays that have a DVI-I cable. The DVI-I displays have the ability to display VGA or DVI-D with a flip of a switch. We need to be able to test Both Analog (VGA) and Digital (DVI-D) off of the DVI-I port.

Come to find out, the 6450 only supports digital on the DVI-I port. (When even make it a DVI-I port ... sheesh). I talked with Asus and they recommended the 7750, but it requires a 400watt power supply, most of our machines do not have a 400 watt power supply.

So what I need help with is finding a card that has VGA, HDMI and DVI-I (That supports DVI-A and DVI-D via this port). To conform to the forum:

System Specifications:

I. Processor/CPU:
Intel Core2duo 2.4

II. Current Graphics Card:
None

III. Display Resolution:
1920x1200

IV. Power Supply Unit Specification (Brand, Wattage, Ampage, Age). If possible, please provide a link to a website containing the power supply specifications:
Dell 300watt power supply

V. Case Specifications(N/A, Model, Length, Low Profile, Cooling, HTPC, Water, Silent):
Dell Vostro 230

Purchase Details:

I. Budget? Please be sure to include currency (If not USD), retailer preferences & specify whether rebates are a viable option.

Up to $130.00, newegg .. prefer up front cost.

II. Any particular preferences (Manufacturer[nV or AMD], Brand[XFX, Sapphire, EVGA, etc], Cooling Solutions)?

AMD

III. Do you plan to have any Multi-GPU solutions such as Crossfire or SLI?
NO

IV. Have you previously looked at a product(s) which you feel would fit your needs?
ATI 4670

V. What are your needs for this GPU? Which games(If any)do you intend to play? If you have this information at hand, what are the desired detail levels?

VI. Do you plan on overclocking the card you intend to purchase?
NO

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
This is a great solution for you :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161422

And the official '400w' power supply recommended is ridiculous, the 6570 takes very little power in actual use.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6570-radeon-hd-6670-turks,2925-15.html

Less than 130 watts TOTAL system power draw with a 6570 under load. So the 6570 should be ideal, and actually use less power than the old 4670 did. They run incredibly cool as well.

I've used that particular card with a DVI to VGA cable, and it apparently displays analog through the DVI port with no problem. It also worked with a 2560x1440 display as well with no issues (DVI-D, obviously).

clevere1

May 11, 2003
This is a great solution for you :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161422

And the official '400w' power supply recommended is ridiculous, the 6570 takes very little power in actual use.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6570-radeon-hd-6670-turks,2925-15.html

Less than 130 watts TOTAL system power draw with a 6570 under load. So the 6570 should be ideal, and actually use less power than the old 4670 did. They run incredibly cool as well.

I've used that particular card with a DVI to VGA cable, and it apparently displays analog through the DVI port with no problem. It also worked with a 2560x1440 display as well with no issues (DVI-D, obviously).

Thanks. The DVI port on that card is DVI-D, but I need a DVI-I port.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DVI_Connector_Pinout.svg

lagokc

Mar 27, 2013
"I talked with Asus and they recommended the 7750, but it requires a 400watt power supply, most of our machines do not have a 400 watt power supply."

The 7750 can draw at most 55w over the PCIe slot (but only does so when gaming or doing distributed computing work). They just list a 400w minimum power supply because a lot of Chinese "400w" power supplies barely push out 200w.

clevere1

May 11, 2003
"I talked with Asus and they recommended the 7750, but it requires a 400watt power supply, most of our machines do not have a 400 watt power supply."

The 7750 can draw at most 55w over the PCIe slot (but only does so when gaming or doing distributed computing work). They just list a 400w minimum power supply because a lot of Chinese "400w" power supplies barely push out 200w.

Oh yeah? Hmm ..

What we do is:

Repair the display and make sure it works in both DVI and VGA over DVI-I.
At times they may be used for watching videos, but no gaming at all.

clevere1

May 11, 2003

clevere1

May 11, 2003
Yeah, but finding one is like a crap shoot. I ended up asking Asus and they recommended the HD5450... which is what we purchased.