help finding out the name of an old PC game.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MDNT LeRoy

Aug 20, 2019
I know this is a super old thread but i was reiniscing today about a similar yet older game. I played it as a kid. It's called "Rescue Rover".

The premise of the game was Roger had a pet dog named Rover who was trapped somewhere on the level and you had adjust the mirrors in a certain way to destroy stationary enemy robots, push crates, find keys, rescue Rover. It was a challenging puzzle game.

Rescue Rover Gameplay

rescue-rover-screen.png

rescue-rover_6.gif

1392576-rover2_008.png

Reactions: shortylickens

Shellest88

May 14, 2020
I'm reviving this ultra old thread too, but I'm like 99% sure I know what was the initial game. It's called Micro's Dillema 2, check it on YouTube. I was looking for it myself for over a year, and since I found this thread, there is a chance I'll help someone in the future ;)

Feb 4, 2009
I'm reviving this ultra old thread too, but I'm like 99% sure I know what was the initial game. It's called Micro's Dillema 2, check it on YouTube. I was looking for it myself for over a year, and since I found this thread, there is a chance I'll help someone in the future ;)

I’m intrigued, how did you stumble upon this thread and what made you choose to set up an account to post?
BTW this is a fun thread.

Shellest88

May 14, 2020
I’m intrigued, how did you stumble upon this thread and what made you choose to set up an account to post?
BTW this is a fun thread.
Oh, so some time (6 months?) ago I wanted to make a list of all games I've ever played. And I did - although I had trouble with DOS games from my childhood (like 20-25 years ago), especially those without advanced plot, like simple logic games. And I remembered this one - like mechanics, the laser beam and black background, but nothing specific; you know - childhood memories.
I tried to Google it, but it was hard; and I gave up for some time, but the problem was still somewhere back of my mind (quite frustrating!). Yesterday I tried again (too much spare time in these strange times, I guess), and firstly I found this thread (googling "laser beam old game" etc.) and shortly thereafter I've recalled the title ;)

So I thought I'd register and answer here, maybe saving someone some frustration in the future :)

Reactions: WhiteNoise

Hewuse23

Jun 1, 2020
We used to play this game in 3rd or 4th grade science class - so at the latest, the late 90s (specifically 97-99 is when I was in school, so it came out earlier than this). The basic premise was, there was this ball, and it moved in a straight line, until it hit a diagonal "reflector" that you placed on the field. I think you had to clear lights or something. There might have been teleporters or portals as a special block. Sorry, I wish I could remember more info...

For the longest time I thought this game was called Ricochet, but I looked it up and it's definitely not it. It definitely has a strong connection with the word "ricochet" though...

I think the game is Challenge of the Ancient Empires. I loved the game. You wore a laser shooting hat and had to align mirrors to hit switches and open doors. Saw this old post and never saw the right game listed. Hope it helps someone.

Reactions: shortylickens

johnbur

Jan 1, 2021
I remember the game and played it in the 1994-1996 era on a 386 with Windows 3.1. It was installed by someone else who called it "Marble" but it might have been a nick name. It had an invisible maze and you fire balls from different rows and columns to watch where they emerge. You then work out where the deflectors are (some can change after a ball hits) and like in Minesweeper have to work out the pattern before asking if it is correct. It was definitely balls not lasers. There is a game similar called "Gfpoken" which you can search for that was an abandoned project in the 2005 era to make a similar game. Unfortunately they do not say what the original game was they are copying.

I have searched for ages to find this game, no luck however. But probably was a bundled shareware of low circulation.

Good luck.

Attachments

• Gfpoken.png
    Gfpoken.png
    25 KB · Views: 6

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I remember the game and played it in the 1994-1996 era on a 386 with Windows 3.1. It was installed by someone else who called it "Marble" but it might have been a nick name. It had an invisible maze and you fire balls from different rows and columns to watch where they emerge. You then work out where the deflectors are (some can change after a ball hits) and like in Minesweeper have to work out the pattern before asking if it is correct. It was definitely balls not lasers. There is a game similar called "Gfpoken" which you can search for that was an abandoned project in the 2005 era to make a similar game. Unfortunately they do not say what the original game was they are copying.

I have searched for ages to find this game, no luck however. But probably was a bundled shareware of low circulation.

Good luck.
The board game version was called Black Box.

1609519192393.png
Note: Whoever set up the pic above didn't bother to make it a real game as the balls and markers don't match.

Edit: Microsoft has a free version here:
I haven't tried it.

Edit edit: Trying it now, I like it.

Last edited:

johnbur

Jan 1, 2021
I have finally found the game after a renewed effort and trawling through archive.org to view CDs full of Windows games. The game is called "Marble" as I remember, see screenshot below from it running on PCEM (v17) emulating Windows 98SE. The CD on www.archive.org is called "100 Smash Windows 95 Games". Although it is a CD for Windows 95 the game format is definitely Windows 3.1. The Author was Peter Balch and the game got to version 1.15 as Shareware. Hope this helps finally get to the bottom of the original thread aim. Happy New Year.

Attachments

• Marble.jpg
    Marble.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 11

TasmanDevil

May 31, 2021
I might be looking for the same game as you or perhaps it's something of a similar genre.

I distinctly remember playing this game when I was a kid (I'm now 25) that involved lasers and mirrors as the core mechanic. I believe there may have been teleporters or something of that nature. Maybe also like a wizard? Each level had different terrain like grass or a snow level.You could use the lasers to destroy enemies. If I had to describe the aesthetic maybe something along the lines of Dweep and Rescue Rover but with maybe (?) fantasy elements or something, maybe something like a crappy looking Diablo motif. It also had really distinct sound effects. I honestly can't remember much, i've been looking for this game for close to twenty years. It was a top down I think likely a 2d sprite game. I might be wrong on some details. I remember there were trees and something could kill you and shoot at you?

Please help.