help finding out the name of an old PC game.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
We used to play this game in 3rd or 4th grade science class - so at the latest, the late 90s (specifically 97-99 is when I was in school, so it came out earlier than this). The basic premise was, there was this ball, and it moved in a straight line, until it hit a diagonal "reflector" that you placed on the field. I think you had to clear lights or something. There might have been teleporters or portals as a special block. Sorry, I wish I could remember more info...

For the longest time I thought this game was called Ricochet, but I looked it up and it's definitely not it. It definitely has a strong connection with the word "ricochet" though...

Last edited:

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I feel old.

I vaguely have an idea of what you're talking about, but I remember something about puzzles involving a laser beam, mirrors, etc...not with a ball.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
I feel old.

I vaguely have an idea of what you're talking about, but I remember something about puzzles involving a laser beam, mirrors, etc...not with a ball.

It might be with a laser beam, I'm not sure. The only definite thing I remember is that there were diagonal reflectors. I think the goal of the game was to get all the colored lights on the board the same color (they changed color when you hit them, or rolled over them, or whatever it might be). This was definitely a puzzle game.

I looked up Ricochet Robots, and it seems it's very similar to what I'm thinking of (even with the diagonal mirrors - http://boardgamegeek.com/image/62398/ricochet-robots) but 1) it's a board game and doesn't seem to have any PC equivalent aside from flash ports, 2) I think there was only one ball/laser in this game I'm thinking of.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006

Doesn't look like it. I believe the controls were mostly keyboard only (or at least placing the mirrors were), and there was some form of timing involved, so that's why I think the main object was a ball.

progress was made in the form of levels, and after you cleared each level I think you got a password that let you start from that level.

Oct 20, 2005
Was this a windows games? like one of those games like "chips challenge" or "jezzball" type games?

I think I know what you're tlaking about, but I can't remember the game name.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Was this a windows games? like one of those games like "chips challenge" or "jezzball" type games?

I think I know what you're tlaking about, but I can't remember the game name.

I can't remember if it was full screen or windowed, sorry. I'm like 70% sure it was PC-based, not Mac, but I can't say for sure.

The level name style seems very similar, but it's not this. I think the diagonal reflectors were "dropped" on the ball when you hit the corresponding key (slash style or backslash style).

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
There was a game called Laser Light that had lasers, various types of reflectors and lighting up colored spaces. Looks like this is a link but I can't verify while at work: http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/782/Laser+Light.html

edit: hmm, reading more of your replies in detail, doesn't sound like it's the right one. Still, Laser Light was pretty cool anyway. ;)

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Does the title "Micro! Deluxe" ring any bells?

It's a PC game from 1995 by Acumen software, involving placing various diagonal mirrors and other objects to "hit" certain areas (I think). It's extremely obscure, and there's almost *nothing* on the internet about it (seriously, not even a Mobygames page, or else I would link to it). The only reason why I know about it is because I have a shareware floppy disk that has it bundled which I got many years ago. It's still sitting around my house.

Judging by my Google results though, you would think it doesn't even exist.

Edit: Here's an old webpage about it, will help you determine if I have it right or not. If not, I'll just shut up.

Last edited:

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
Does the title "Micro! Deluxe" ring any bells?

It's a PC game from 1995 by Acumen software, involving placing various diagonal mirrors and other objects to "hit" certain areas (I think). It's extremely obscure, and there's almost *nothing* on the internet about it (seriously, not even a Mobygames page, or else I would link to it). The only reason why I know about it is because I have a shareware floppy disk that has it bundled which I got many years ago. It's still sitting around my house.

Judging by my Google results though, you would think it doesn't even exist.

Edit: Here's an old webpage about it, will help you determine if I have it right or not. If not, I'll just shut up.

Doesn't sound like it. This wasn't a "control" game - it was more of like a "perpetual motion" game - kind of like centipede/snake, except instead of a centipede or snake you're watching a ball roll and use mirrors/reflectors to change its trajectory as necessary.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
If you can't find the old game you are looking for, you are more than likely trolling.

I found this using basic google searching, and it's probably the most difficult game to remember.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/muzzle-velocity

All I could remember was "WWII type game, multi-role combat, 1990's, 3d" and I found it.

In order to find an old game you need to do the following.

1. Narrow down the year as close as possible (what school year was this when you played, then you can find the year EXACTLY)
2. Describe in DETAIL the graphics, was it full 3d, was it the QUAKE I engine?,
3. Name a possible publisher, developer (this is a hard one)
4. Was this a popular game, or was it some sort of independant game not receiving a national release? (I.E., some crappy shareware game from a dudes basement)
5. Is this a MOD or a full game?
6. Multiplayer, single player, describe in detail the playing experience, were there lots of levels, did it have a campaign?

Once you have provided some real evidence, it will help us locate the game for you

Is this one of those WINDOWS downloaded games like SKI or minefield?

tufftarzan

Dec 26, 2014
Did you ever find the game? I played this as well. It was on the first computer my parents had. There was a grid with a diagonal line in each square of the grid. These lines acted like mirrors for the lazer to bounce off. These were stationary and didnt change color, move or anything...it was the olaying field. You had the hunter/soldier/astronaut type guy that moved around the outside of the grid and an "alien" that was stationary also on the outside of the grid. You would move the guy into position to be able to line up your shot and kill the alien thing. Your gun shot a lazer and you used the reflecting mirrors and your ability to follow the path of the shot (in your mind) to figure out where you had to be to shoot in order to get the alien. It works kind of like doing a maze. I'm glad I found this thread. I've searched for apps that are as simple and yet awesome as this game was and haven't found too much. Games don't get much simpler than this and I would love to find this game or a similar app as well.

bksm

Jun 27, 2017
Just checking...did anyone figure out the real name of this game? If not, let me know...I don't know it off the top of my head, but my dad has it in his desk drawer. I played it all the time growing up, along with Rodent's Revenge and other games of that era. :) Still have the 5" floppy disc. :)

GJ__

Jul 17, 2017
We used to play this game in 3rd or 4th grade science class - so at the latest, the late 90s (specifically 97-99 is when I was in school, so it came out earlier than this). The basic premise was, there was this ball, and it moved in a straight line, until it hit a diagonal "reflector" that you placed on the field. I think you had to clear lights or something. There might have been teleporters or portals as a special block. Sorry, I wish I could remember more info...

For the longest time I thought this game was called Ricochet, but I looked it up and it's definitely not it. It definitely has a strong connection with the word "ricochet" though...

Some of your clues didn't match, but I was looking for what sounded like a very similar game from my childhood too. I eventually dug it up and it was a minigame called "Mirror Mirror" in a pack of puzzle games called "Smart Games 2". Sorry to necro the thread, but maybe someone was looking for this same game as well.

19270-smart-games-puzzle-challenge-2-windows-front-cover.jpg

7470-smart-games-puzzle-challenge-2-windows-3-x-screenshot-mirror.gif

Aerolion

Jun 1, 2019

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I feel old.

you are thinking of TIM - The Incredible Machine.