Question Help finding ONT for Fidium Fibre (solved).

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Fidium Fibre has come to my street and I'm seriously considering using their service (from Comca$$t). 1Gbps for the same price as 200Mbps (just pushed up to 300Mbps - lol). Anywho...

I want to use my own equipment. The supplied modem/router is inaccessible by the user and Fidium doesn't support bridging mode (the router does, but, reasons). Having a tough time finding good networking sites that cover this stuff. Used to have a list of sites bookmarked, but lost a bunch a bookmarks a while ago. Appreciate advice and suggestions for an ONT and for good web sites for networking gear for my continued edification. Thanks ATFers!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
At least with Verizon, the ONT is their property, and supplied to the customer, for the sole purpose of accessing their service.

Fiber is NOT like cable, fiber ONTs are generally not sold at retail, nor self-installable. (WAY TOO MUCH liability. Cable's Coax won't kill you or make you go blind, fiber can.)

Nor is there any real benefit to doing so, the customer deals with the router, which generally has a bridged ethernet handoff from the ONT. Replacing the ONT with your own won't get you anything.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Fidium Fibre has come to my street and I'm seriously considering using their service (from Comca$$t). 1Gbps for the same price as 200Mbps (just pushed up to 300Mbps - lol). Anywho...

I want to use my own equipment. The supplied modem/router is inaccessible by the user and Fidium doesn't support bridging mode (the router does, but, reasons). Having a tough time finding good networking sites that cover this stuff. Used to have a list of sites bookmarked, but lost a bunch a bookmarks a while ago. Appreciate advice and suggestions for an ONT and for good web sites for networking gear for my continued edification. Thanks ATFers!
There are very few companies in the US that I am aware of that allow you to use your own ONT, the ONT model needs to be able to communicate with the ISPs OLT, and guess what? There is no real standard for OLT/ONT communication and even if your ISPs OLT CAN communicate with the ONT you buy, some ISPs lock down their OLTs so they don't talk to unknown ONTs. For example, here is the page for Ubiquiti's Ufiber ONT and they have different modes for Huawei OLTs, ZTE OLTs, and FiberHome OLTs. https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009335068-UFiber-GPON-Supported-Third-Party-OLTs. So without knowing your ISPs OLT model (and that's not something usually advertised) it would be very difficult to suggest any compatible ONTs.

Considering how new Fidium fiber is I doubt there is much if any information out there. Even large fiber ISPs with 1m+ customers barely have any information out there regarding using your own ONT, so I doubt an ISP that is still only in a small area with few customers will have any information regarding this kind of stuff.

Your best bet is to call and ask them. But you'd most likely need to have a conversation with someone higher up than your basic technical support guy.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Seems like a lot of pain, for very little gain.
Well, it wasn't a problem with Comcast - and it put an end to their stupid equipment problems. Also, no double NAT. But, DOCSIS standards made that easier.

Figuring out what OLT is used by Fidium is a problem. Don’t know why type of PON is used, though EPON seems likely.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Probably the answer OP was looking for? PPPoE user/pass login with your own router is all you need.

==

Oops, I was wrong. New installtions probably have issues with some. But some did get it work and host thier own websites from home.

Be sure to give them your router's MAC address.

Be you own judge.

Okay, took reading a few posts, but the Adtran WiFi router is just that apparently (doesn’t include ONT). So the ONT must be supplied an installed by Fidium. Then I just run ENET to my own router using pppoe credentials from Fidium tech support or the installer. I’ll have to double check this. PITA that this isn’t published on their website, but Comcast was like that for a while as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirtualLarry