Help finding a game from late 90s (found: Master of Orion II)

Minjin

Platinum Member
Jan 18, 2003
I was just thinking about a game I played a long time ago and since it was on a friend's computer, I have no idea what the name was. The time was 98 or 99. It was a space based strategy game. I remember you were able to build ships and send them out to attack enemy fleets and thinking that it was really boring. That was until I discovered that you could enter some advanced mode that allowed you to build and modify the ships exactly the way you wanted them. I remember being able to fire black holes at enemy ships and such. I think it was turn based. I wish I could give more details but I don't remember much. Any ideas?

edit: Found
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Orion_II:_Battle_at_Antares

Last edited:

Minjin

Platinum Member
Jan 18, 2003
Master of Orion II looks like it was it. I really enjoyed that game.

Thanks guys.

ChenH

Jun 30, 2010
Hehe, I remember playing MOO2 and disliking it, guess I haven't discovered the cool mode yet.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Hehe, I remember playing MOO2 and disliking it, guess I haven't discovered the cool mode yet.

Not everyone is in to 4X games. Thats why I find it strange that the OP said he hated it with prebuilt ships but suddenly loved the game with the ship builder. It doesnt make any sense. You're still playing the exact same game but with one more feature. You dont spend THAT much time in combat on an average game, so the parts you dont like are still gonna cover a majority of your time.

Of course, I spent so much time playing that I actually figured out how to force the enemy to build lots of ships and engage me in multiple, huge battles. But Ima nerd and you dont wish to be like me.

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
Galactic Civilizations II is a modern game that is the spiritual successor to MOO 2. It's a great game.