Help! Do i have a VIRUS?

XCLAN

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
I was playin on my pc last night downloading files. etc. as i always do. i shut the pc down and today after boot i cant get the computer online. after 30 minutes of reinstallin ethernet card and drivers. running internet connection wizard. i cant get anywhere. instead of loading a pag ....on the bottom the screens says

"res://c:\windows\system\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm

anyways i cant get online. is internet explorer jacked? icq wont connect. and neither will anything else.

reformatted and installed windows. Even installed new ethernet card. nothing is working. i am using my cable modem on my other pc right now and it works fine. i even tried bypassing my hub and run direct to my pc from the cable modem. still get same error. Now after reformattin on boot up i get

WARNING!!!!! boot disk sector is about to be modified. And it beeps a bunch of times. is this a virus? how do i fix? i have never flashed a bios before. By the way. I installed a new 120 gig hardrive today that has never been used to try to fix my problem. still having problems. Help! please :)

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Sounds like you don't have your DNS servers set properly.

Go to a command prompt and do an ipconfig /all and verify you have DNS servers.

See if you can connect to a host by IP address. If you can connect by IP address and not by FQDN, it's a DNS issue.

For reference, www.microsoft.com can be accessed at 207.46.230.219. Type that IP address into your browser's address bar. If you connect that way, it's a DNS issue.

-Noggin

XCLAN

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
wouldnt connect through the ip either....funny thing is i turned on kazaa and downloaded some files ...like ie6 but cant install them without being connected to the net. wonder why kazza works?

XCLAN

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
I reformatted today and i still get the same error. I had a warning...boot disk sector about to be changed while reformatting and installing windows millenium. i clicked y for yes...hope it wasnt a bad thing. anyway i have a fresh windows install and still wont connect to the net. HELP!!!!!!!
please
thanx
Daryl

Don66

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2000
You might check in your bios to see if virus protection is turned on.
If it is disable it.

XCLAN

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
problem fixed thanx! don66 i feel stupid...i coulda swore i tried that a bunch of times.