Help diagnose a graphics glitch scrolling window (with video)

imported_jasonnovak

Oct 3, 2005
For the past few months I've get a graphical glitch when scrolling a window at startup. It only occurs when scrolling. Shutting down and restarting makes it go away. Happens once or twice a week. I have an HD6950 and have 12.6 drivers on Windows 7 x64, occurred on previous release as well. I've re-ghosted my machine to a clean image with no change. I wonder if this is a sign of a failing card or a bug in recent drivers.

Here's a video:

http://youtu.be/hZEsAJi92XM

Last edited:

imported_jasonnovak

Oct 3, 2005
A followup, sometimes now have to reboot twice to get it to go way - then it's fine all day. Newest 12.8 drivers. Any thoughts before I try to RMA it? Worried they won't be able to replicate it.

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
Can you post your system specs? Have you ever had the card crash the system at any point?

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
I get that when my card's VRAM has a too low clock on dual screen setup. It's enough to move my mouse to trigger such behavior (identical, even more visible).

Another situation when it happens is when the card's VRAM goes up and down (Aero kicking into higher usage and back again, Flash videos starting and stopping).

There are 3 power states in your card, each of them has different core/memory settings. Switching between memory clocks in them is what was causing this for me. What I did was to lock my card's memory clock to 1125Mhz always.

EDIT: Also, it took a while for this to happen for me after each reboot. Though it was between minutes to an hour. My card is older though, so it might behave worse.

Last edited:

imported_jasonnovak

Oct 3, 2005
I'm thinking it's not the video card anymore - I was recording a new video using screen capture software forgetting I used my cell phone for the first one, and although I saw lots of glitching on the screen none of it was recorded, which makes me think it's the monitor now. Switched from displayport to dvi, will play around with it some more and try some new cables. It's a U3011 so at least it has a good warranty.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
I'm thinking it's not the video card anymore - I was recording a new video using screen capture software forgetting I used my cell phone for the first one, and although I saw lots of glitching on the screen none of it was recorded, which makes me think it's the monitor now. Switched from displayport to dvi, will play around with it some more and try some new cables. It's a U3011 so at least it has a good warranty.

This kinda confirms it's a card thing. Actually, the communication between your card and the monitor - screen capture software records what your card generates, not what it displays.

In my case switching the memory clocks was distorting this connection somehow (same, Fraps wasn't able to record it). It was a year or two ago when I did my fix and not a single occurrence (ok, that's not correct - a driver version or two did try to force lower clocks in idle and was ignoring card BIOS settings and I was getting the distortions again).

Also, I heard that there are screen tearing problems through DP on Radeons. Would fit with what you experience and switching to DVI would solve it.