HELP!!! Defective Asus GeForce 2 MX card??

Louie1961

Sep 25, 2000
Hello All. I need some help desperately. I just purchased an Asus AGP-V7100 GeForce 2MX card (pure version). I took it home and installed as per the manufacturer's instructions. It did nothing but crash my system. Long story short, after crashing the machine enough, I wiped the hard drive, and did a fresh install of win 98 SE (I was planning on doing that anyway, as I was running an older win 95 build) with the new video card installed.

The thing runs now, but I am having problems with visual artifacts, the kind you would expect from an overclocked sytem or video card (neither of which I have done). The artifacts ONLY show up on my windows desktop. The machine runs quakeIII excellently. I have replaced the motherboard drivers (updated the via 4 in 1 driver), the video card driver (from the Asus site), etc., tweaked the bios settings, the driver settings, etc. Nothing fixes the problem.

Just as background, I am running a new Asus P3V4X mobo, with a 550 coppermine. My previous video card was a voodoo3 2000 PCI, which ran fine. I also was not having any other heat related problems prior to this.

I think the answer is that I purchased a defective card. Anyone disagree? Is there anything I have missed here?

Feel free to respond here or e-mail me your thoughts...perugini@compsol.net

Thanks

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Sounds like you have a bum card I would just return it and see if a new one does the same thing-good luck whatever you do

bluezebra1098

May 8, 2000
You don't mention the sound card but if you are running a soundblaster you must use Liveware 3.0 and the updated Win98 drivers file.
GeForce cards use considerable more power than most other cards so look to your power supply if it is under a 250 watt.
Also try re installing the VIA AGP drivers 4.03 and make sure you install the drivers using "turbo" mode.

Doctorweir

Golden Member
Sep 20, 2000
Hmmm, normally artifacts are a sign of faulty memory, but if they only appear on the win desktop...?
Anyway, better return the card for a new one and see what's happening.