Help Deciding New CPU (Ryzen/CL)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I too am running an i7 920, OC'd to 3.5Ghz (I'm in a thermally constrained case).

One thing to think about going from X58 to Z370 or X370 is you are going from an HEDT platform with tons of PCIe lanes and 6 DIMM slots down to more limited platforms.

On Z370 that 960 NVME will be sitting behind the north bridge. (At least Ryzen gives you a direct 4X link to the CPU). If you intend to keep the PC for a long time you may find the platform limiting.

I'm going to upgrade to Threadripper X399 because of it. At the resolution I game, the difference between an X1700, X1900, or 8700K isn't going to be much but the ability to add more ram and fast storage that doesn't get bottlenecked should keep the PC feeling fast for several years.

It actually kind of sucks now. When we picked i7 920 / X58 machines we got the best platform and with OC the fastest gaming and productivity chips for a decent price.

Now you've got to pick one, gaming, productivity, platform or price.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
It's been so long since I built my 920 that I don't even know how many lanes I had. I originally had SLI but replaced them with only 1 1070. However I had 24gb of ram with 6 (!) Dimms. I'm looking forward to achieving 32 with only 2 dimms. I'm also buying a smaller power supply this time around.

You bring up some good points and the 920 was really a great machine. You highlight why I've had such trouble upgrading. I also looked at Threadripper but it wasn't in the cards. Glad to hear from someone else still running their 920!

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
@skace, did you get an 8700K at newegg before they went OOS ? Or are you going Ryzen, just curious.

Well, so much for being back to available, I guess just another trickle of stock.

Reactions: Drazick

TahoeDust

Nov 29, 2011
By the way. Thanks Tahoe. And for the record, I'm mildly guilty for not supporting AMD in their heroic efforts. I know.
No problem buddy. I’m glad you were able to snag one. Good luck with your build. Let us know how it goes.

TahoeDust

Nov 29, 2011
@skace, did you get an 8700K at newegg before they went OOS ? Or are you going Ryzen, just curious.

Well, so much for being back to available, I guess just another trickle of stock.
Well, hopefully it means that they were able to fulfill all the back orders and take new orders. Not that bad for a “paper launch”.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
It seemed to go in stock around 2pm sold out 1 1/2 hrs later.

I don't think it even lasted that long, it had "Add to Cart" active for quite some time after it started auto-removing from cart due to lack of stock.

I'm slightly annoyed I missed it. Had it in cart and went to checkout and it disappeared due to lack of stock. Guess I should set up a browser script to alert me next time.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Well, hopefully it means that they were able to fulfill all the back orders and take new orders. Not that bad for a “paper launch”.

But it's kind of sad when you consider that Intel has the most manufacturing power world wide and generally isn't a big fan of pent up demand, because of its systematic paranoia. We run into that at my work, pretty much the only horse in our race, the companies we sell to basically have an edict that they have to use our stuff (because of what they are working on). Because of that people even if they didn't like us would have to purchase from us. But there a group of people in the sale department when dealing with our call group reports that actively treats a call that didn't get picked up as a lost sale. Not that I am trying to say having great customer support isn't important just saying, that Intel actively thinks and always has considered a part not being available as a sale for a competitor. I don't know why they felt that it was soooo important to get it out the door this soon if they weren't going to be able to keep up with demand.

That said it's not a "paper launch", or a not as bad as one (I mean they did go more than a week without anyone getting a stock update), but its not a great launch by a company capable of flooding the market.

slashy16

Mar 24, 2017
That said it's not a "paper launch", or a not as bad as one (I mean they did go more than a week without anyone getting a stock update), but its not a great launch by a company capable of flooding the market.

My guess is they are trying to clear as many 7700k's out of the market as they can. I know two friends in the past week who have pulled the trigger on the 7700k because they didn't want to wait a couple more weeks for the 8 series. My 8600 arrived from NCIX but, the 8700k is still two weeks out.

Mar 10, 2006
My guess is they are trying to clear as many 7700k's out of the market as they can. I know two friends in the past week who have pulled the trigger on the 7700k because they didn't want to wait a couple more weeks for the 8 series. My 8600 arrived from NCIX but, the 8700k is still two weeks out.

People will build when they need to build, but it really sucks that they couldn't wait the few more weeks for 8700K. It's a heck of a lot better of a chip.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Figured I owed the thread an update. I learned a few things during the process of this build.
1. I delidded my 8700k. The hardest part was knowing how much liquid metal to put on because it is such a weird material. I used Rokkit88, loctite super glue and conductonaut. The process was nerve wracking but not difficult.
2. My new PC is virtually silent. I can walk into the room and wonder if it is even running. I don't know if it is the noctua fans or just the state of technology but the difference is substantial. In fact, I found out my monitor has a whistling cap that I just couldn't hear.
3. Performance between my old 920 and the 8700k is night and day. I'm not sure how much of it is ipc and how much is the fact the my old memory was clearly failing. However, I haven't even bothered over locking at all because I haven't seen a single noticable hiccup in anything I've done so far.
4. My old lian-li case feels like it is 4x heavier than my new meshify. The meshify has some cheap plastic in places like any sub100 case probably would but the functionality and weight are a nice combo. And if I ever get sick of it I won't have the heartache I had chucking my lian-li in a dumpster.
5. My new Win10 install functions differently than my old one. I received the creators update immediately but saw differences all the way through. Hard to explain but my notifications tab only ever told me my firewall was off, now it tells me tons of things with graphics as well as words.
6. My desire to go all SSD was mildly misplaced, either by loud fans or failing memory. My new 6tb wd black is relatively silent and even my old drives that I mounted externally to move data weren't that bad (2 and 4tb wd blacks).
7. I have a ton of rgb LEDs and I'm embracing it. I think I will get sick of them later but I'm leaving them on for now hoping my 2 year old daughter thinks they are cool. This is another huge jump from 10 years ago when high end rarely meant illuminated. I also learned why so much software revolves around syncing lights as it is a huge mess when each glowy thing does whatever the hell it wants.
8. Did I mention how silent it is? Wow is silence ever golden.

Let me know if you want me to answer anything specifically or post photos or anything.

Reactions: Zucker2k

TahoeDust

Nov 29, 2011
Figured I owed the thread an update. I learned a few things during the process of this build.
1. I delidded my 8700k. The hardest part was knowing how much liquid metal to put on because it is such a weird material. I used Rokkit88, loctite super glue and conductonaut. The process was nerve wracking but not difficult.
2. My new PC is virtually silent. I can walk into the room and wonder if it is even running. I don't know if it is the noctua fans or just the state of technology but the difference is substantial. In fact, I found out my monitor has a whistling cap that I just couldn't hear.
3. Performance between my old 920 and the 8700k is night and day. I'm not sure how much of it is ipc and how much is the fact the my old memory was clearly failing. However, I haven't even bothered over locking at all because I haven't seen a single noticable hiccup in anything I've done so far.
4. My old lian-li case feels like it is 4x heavier than my new meshify. The meshify has some cheap plastic in places like any sub100 case probably would but the functionality and weight are a nice combo. And if I ever get sick of it I won't have the heartache I had chucking my lian-li in a dumpster.
5. My new Win10 install functions differently than my old one. I received the creators update immediately but saw differences all the way through. Hard to explain but my notifications tab only ever told me my firewall was off, now it tells me tons of things with graphics as well as words.
6. My desire to go all SSD was mildly misplaced, either by loud fans or failing memory. My new 6tb wd black is relatively silent and even my old drives that I mounted externally to move data weren't that bad (2 and 4tb wd blacks).
7. I have a ton of rgb LEDs and I'm embracing it. I think I will get sick of them later but I'm leaving them on for now hoping my 2 year old daughter thinks they are cool. This is another huge jump from 10 years ago when high end rarely meant illuminated. I also learned why so much software revolves around syncing lights as it is a huge mess when each glowy thing does whatever the hell it wants.
8. Did I mention how silent it is? Wow is silence ever golden.

Let me know if you want me to answer anything specifically or post photos or anything.

Good stuff man. Good fans are pricey, but the sound difference can really be shocking. I have 7 140mm fans running in my machine 24/7 and it is virtually inaudible. What did you end up doing for cooling?

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Here is the basic list of components. The PowerSupply is actually a Prime Ultra. It is missing a number of pre-owned items, but does contain my Video Card and Samsung 840 which were not bought at this time. Figured this would answer anything specific better since I never really said in detail what I was planning to do. That memory price doesn't look right either but I did opt for the CAS14. I spent ~2K, which was roughly my budget.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($399.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($88.88 @ OutletPC)
Thermal Compound: Noctua - NT-H1 3.5g Thermal Paste ($5.68 @ OutletPC)
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly - Conductonaut 1g Thermal Paste ($14.89 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($259.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - TridentZ RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($489.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($297.38 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 960 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($289.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Black 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($449.88 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Titanium 850W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($191.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro Full 32/64-bit ($189.00 @ B&H)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan ($22.90 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan ($24.90 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 82.5 CFM 140mm Fan ($24.90 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Ducky - ONE Wired Standard Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G Pro Wired Optical Mouse ($48.52 @ Newegg)
Total: $3108.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-30 08:49 EDT-0400

Reactions: SangamonTaylor

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
This was the actual price, not sure if it makes it any better. I think I onjly paid a 40 dollars over what 32GB would have cost normally.

20-232-560 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-32GTZR
$376.99
$376.99