Help Deciding New CPU (Ryzen/CL)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
LOL AMD shill!! Who are you calling a kid boy... I will bend you over my leg and spank the s..t out of you..

Calling others shills is not allowed
Markfw
Anandtech Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

IRobot23

Jul 3, 2017
You guys are so blinded by brand names its not even funny...

First of all, for 60Hz probably i5 8400 will be more than enough.Even i7 8700 is much better buy than i7 8700K.
Second, you are blinded by brand names.
Third, what is wrong with ryzen? You can have problems with any PC and if you do not want to fix it its your problem.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
LOL AMD shill!! Who are you calling a kid boy... I will bend you over my leg and spank the s..t out of you..

Internet tough guy confirmed! Everybody watch out!

Why am I here, back to work at my real job where they pay me to do real work, not argue with pointless trolls on CPU forums.

Reactions: kawi6rr

kawi6rr

Oct 17, 2013
I would go with a 1600x with fast RAM, you wont notice the difference between it and CFL in gaming unless there are real specific issues. You'll save money and can upgrade other features of your build.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Its not FUD its fact!! Ryzen systems have Linux bugs, Windows 10 bugs, and are incompatible still with a huge majority of RAM. so how is this FUD? Also CFL is 10-15% faster and only has 6 cores vs 8 cores on Ryzen and soon as the 8 core drop in happens its only going to get worse for AMD to try to keep up..
You need to stop spouting FUD yourself. As stated by other users, there are no known bugs at this time, and if you did have one, you could have RMA'ed your CPU. As for memory, its simple, get ram rated for your motherboard, and you should have no issues. Why is it that everyone except you is working fine ?

As far as that 8 core CFL, last I read its not guaranteed to work in the current motherboards, where as AM4 will be good for quite a while.

As far as speed, only in games is CFL a clear winner, in productivity tools it varies.

TahoeDust

Nov 29, 2011
Please. I've run Ryzen since literally day 1, and have had zero issues with memory. Let me tell you my 1700 do not like Crucial/Micron RAM, but it works fine at stock. Its only when overclocking memory there can be some issues. Overclocking is far as I know never guaranteed.

Ryzen is rated for 2666MHz (DC SR, two DIMMs), 2400MHz (DC DR, Two DIMMs) and so on. Everything above that is overclocking.
If you are running Ryzen at 2666Mhz or lower, you are leaving a ton of performance on the table. Ryzen with that speed memory is even further behind the new competition.

Not a good argument for Ryzen.

kawi6rr

Oct 17, 2013
Its not FUD its fact!! Ryzen systems have Linux bugs, Windows 10 bugs, and are incompatible still with a huge majority of RAM. so how is this FUD? Also CFL is 10-15% faster and only has 6 cores vs 8 cores on Ryzen and soon as the 8 core drop in happens its only going to get worse for AMD to try to keep up..

Time for you to get into the NOW! There are thousands of Ryzen builds that have been sold with most it not all teething issues being fixed. Your post just proves how far behind you are by spreading such miss information.

Time to put this kid to bed.

Reactions: Reinvented

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I say get the i7-8700k and forget ever thinking anything about Ryzen. I had a Ryzen r7 1800x and I had nothing but problems from day one. You dont need all those headaches going through all the crap I had to go through. Just get CFL which just works with out issues and dont look back!! You'll thank me in the long run. Also later next year closer to about this time next year we will get a drop in upgrade, hoping for 8c/16t..

Counterpoint: I've had a Ryzen R7 1800X since launch that ran Samsung B-die at 3200 CL14. While there were some early compatibility issues, today every single one of my boards from el-cheapo $69.99 B350 to $249.99 X370 boards will run the RAM at XMP settings. This is with various Ryzen processors from 1600/X to 1700 and 1800X.

The issues you allude to were fixed months ago.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
I see now how things work around here... you guys get paid to shut down any body who talks some one into buying another brand then by the the company who is paying you off to say this crap.. fine I am in buy a Ryzen but just know you have been warned.. now where is my check..

Trolling is not allowed
Markfw
Anandtech Moderator

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005
I see now how things work around here... you guys get paid to shut down any body who talks some one into buying another brand then by the the company who is paying you off to say this crap.. fine I am in buy a Ryzen but just know you have been warned.. now where is my check..

Lol. I wish I got paid for that. Just do your homework, instead of spouting of garbage because you were too lazy to RMA your processor to fix supposed issues.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Ah go f..k your self

Profanity is not allowed in the technical forums
Markfw
Anandtech Moderator

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
If you are running Ryzen at 2666Mhz or lower, you are leaving a ton of performance on the table. Ryzen with that speed memory is even further behind the new competition.

Not a good argument for Ryzen.

To be fair here, I did purchase that RAM before official Ryzen specs and tests were available. AMD/Ryzen is not to blame for that. Just bad luck, nothing more. If you get something that uses Samsung B-die, 3200MHz+ with very decent timings is easily achieved from what I've seen in person, and online.

I had figured I might purchase some of that B-die memory, but current pricing for 32GB is astronomical here. Besides good dual rank memory can perform just as good as high speed single die. On the bright side, prices may have fallen by next year, and until then I'm good. Might throw in a Pinnacle Ridge CPU too, and reuse the 1700 for my HTPC. We'll see.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
So I haven't read every reply yet but I will. But... Yesterday was the calm before the storm. My PC is 100% dead and I'm posting from my cellphone. I kind of wish I'd moved a little quicker. As some noted, I held onto my last PC for 10 years which is one reason I plan to go relatively top end even if it doesn't appear I need it from what I've posted.

My current resume is 2560x1600 for those who asked. The 3007fpw_hc was one of the first and best monitors at this range. A true gem.

My graphics card is a 1070. Which will last me until the next hopeful bump. I dont typically do same-gen upgrades.

I'm planning to spend around 2k minus monitor and graphics card. 32gb ram, high end motherboard, 960, noctua fans, sorry I didn't link my build.

Thing is, I think I may be forced Ryzen due to my current situation. Which isn't horrible but I do think the CFL fits my profile a bit more and I hate being a gen1 tester. But at this point the sooner I get all the parts the better.

TahoeDust

Nov 29, 2011
If you keep your machines that long, don't compromise on what you want. If you want CFL, get it. If you can't find the CPU you want right now, there will probably be plenty of "place holder" 8100s and 8400s for sale soon on the used market. Guys that ordered 8700k/8600k early launch are starting to take deliver this week.

MarkPost

Mar 1, 2017
@skace
You can't go wrong with either Ryzen of CFL so get what you can when you can.
This. Fortunately, these days, there are two just fine alternatives. I own both, AMD and Intel platforms (Ryzen 1700X and i7 7800X), and both are great cpus and perfectly stable platforms. Long life to competition!

Reactions: Markfw

IRobot23

Jul 3, 2017
So I haven't read every reply yet but I will. But... Yesterday was the calm before the storm. My PC is 100% dead and I'm posting from my cellphone. I kind of wish I'd moved a little quicker. As some noted, I held onto my last PC for 10 years which is one reason I plan to go relatively top end even if it doesn't appear I need it from what I've posted.

My current resume is 2560x1600 for those who asked. The 3007fpw_hc was one of the first and best monitors at this range. A true gem.

My graphics card is a 1070. Which will last me until the next hopeful bump. I dont typically do same-gen upgrades.

I'm planning to spend around 2k minus monitor and graphics card. 32gb ram, high end motherboard, 960, noctua fans, sorry I didn't link my build.

Thing is, I think I may be forced Ryzen due to my current situation. Which isn't horrible but I do think the CFL fits my profile a bit more and I hate being a gen1 tester. But at this point the sooner I get all the parts the better.

I had no problems with ryzen, unless I was overclocking DRAM beyond its specifications.
All you need to do is to update BIOS. Asus has great support. Anyway if you feel better with Intel then grab i5 8400. It is decent upgrade or even i7 8700, if you can.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It sounds like either would suit you well. If you main focus is gaming then go CFL, if your main focus is on productivity tasks then the Ryzen with its extra 2 cores will be better for you.

Also, something to consider, if going Ryzen its actually very comparable to CFL even in gaming if using B-Die ram at 3200mhz or faster with tight timings, something none of the mainstream reviewers do. If you go Ryzen make sure you check out the builders thread for the timings to use with the B die ram, it makes a huge difference.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Thanks, I'll check that thread out. I was planning to buy cas14 3200 ram already but I'll make sure it all jives.

And for those who asked. I was planning to get 120hz IPS ultrawide but was waiting to see what the new amva releases compared as. I twitch game in Quake Champions. However the ST improvements for me weren't just about hitting 144hz as much as they were about ensuring high frame rates in as many situations as possible.

Anyhow... I'll be shopping for parts tonight from my wife's mac! This is a sad ending to a great PC. Thanks for all your feedback.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Hah. I just bought one. Price was higher than I expected but oh well. I don't even have time to determine whether I made the right choice anymore have to start accruing parts and get myself operational again

Reactions: Zucker2k

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Now someone make a case for whether I should delid this myself out the gates. Air-cool with 140mm noctua fans in a defineC or liquid cool. My main thing with liquid cooling is that I really dont have any plans to spend 400 on a custom loop. And I get the impression that is where the major benefits are.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
By the way. Thanks Tahoe. And for the record, I'm mildly guilty for not supporting AMD in their heroic efforts. I know.

Reactions: Zucker2k