help deciding components for a new

nylax99

Nov 19, 2010
Hi all, it's been a long longggg while since I've built my last system... but I think it's time :)

I found this thread earlier :
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/attention-low-end-midrange-gaming-system-builders.2389797/

But I figure I would at least list what I need and maybe you guys can help me spot pick the things I need. Thanks in advance! Sorry for any noobie knowledge below, it's been a few years and i'm out of date on requirements :)

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
some basic gaming, nothing as graphic crazy like WoW or anything. But lately I have been play some flash based games. My current desktop is getting a little out of date, I think I have an i5 3400.
I've been reading that cpu and ram can improve flash performance. so i'm thinking of getting i7 6700k, but would like your inputs if a bit lower like 6500 or similiar would not even cause a noticeable decrease in performance.
semi decent graphics card also would be nice if I ever get back in WoW or something. But mainly being to run these flash games at max performace. if my understanding is correct, graphics card is not really relavant for flash rendering?
2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
700-1000
3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
US
4. IF you're buying parts OUTSIDE the US, please post a link to the vendor you'll be buying from.
We can't be expected to scour the internet on your behalf, chasing down deals in your specific country... Again, help us, help YOU.
No
5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.
Intel I7 6th gen I believe is the only requirement I have
6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
completely new gig, not reusing any of my old components
7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
if OC will help performance then would like to.
8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?
9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
within the next couple of weeks

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
If all you'll ever play is flash based games you can go REALLY cheap and and still have a fast PC, no video card required and you can go way lower than a 6700k.

Your main concerns should be an SSD and a Mobo/case that support USB 3.0 or higher while staying inexpensive.

nylax99

Nov 19, 2010
would the fastest cpu make a difference? I had not considered ssd but will get one if the price/performance boost is noticeable :)

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
The question for your build should be - are you truly wanting to limit it's potential to only flash gaming and general use ? if the answer is no then you should spend more to give you flexibility in the future, if yes like I said you can go pretty cheap - but an ssd is a must for any pc these days.

nylax99

Nov 19, 2010
no I want to have the potential to be a semi decent gaming machine (if I decided to play some more intensive games in the future), not hardcore gaming.
so I would need:
-SSD
-DDR4 RAM (16GB is what im aiming for)
-I7 (not sure what to get here)
-Decent graphics card (can anyone confirm that has ZERO impact on flash games?)

Thank you :)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
no I want to have the potential to be a semi decent gaming machine (if I decided to play some more intensive games in the future), not hardcore gaming.
so I would need:
-SSD
-DDR4 RAM (16GB is what im aiming for)
-I7 (not sure what to get here)
-Decent graphics card (can anyone confirm that has ZERO impact on flash games?)

Thank you :)

My wife plays Flash games on her laptop with integrated Intel graphics. You don't need much to play those types of games.

You in no way need an i7 CPU for your use. In fact, that CPU by itself will eat up roughly 1/3 of your total budget.

In the low-end/mid-range link you referenced in your first post, on the last page Ken g6 posted this for his $1000 build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/XXnyWX

However, since you are not a "hardcore gamer", I'd change it slightly to this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/htppzM

You can get a cheaper case and cheaper PSU, but I put the case in because it is well reviewed, and I put the power supply in because it is a quality gold-rated unit that comes with a 10 year warranty. Right now it is only $59, which is not that much more expensive than basic units with 3 year warranties. There are a lot of cases under $50 that you can pick instead of the one I selected.

It has a video card that will suite your needs for many years. You can always go with the 6600k CPU in Ken g6's post, but that adds about $30 and you will also need to buy a CPU cooler that runs another $25+.

Last edited:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
That system UsandThem put together on PCpartpicker will last the OP for years. Don't forget to add Windows...

nylax99

Nov 19, 2010
thanks so much for all the information above!
everything else is pretty standard, there are a few sales for SSDs going on newegg right now that I am tempted to buy. Anything I should steer clear away from?

Also I noticed that both are i5 and not i7, understanding that it's a bit cheaper, but would I notice any difference making the jump into say a i7 6600 or even 6600K? if there's enough to justify the bump in perfomance I would totally consider it.
And since from what i'm understanding above graphics card has zero effect on flash games, I can ease into a graphics card later and get the most important parts first... what do you guys think?

-Mobo
-CPU (possibly cooler if I get the K)
-Case
-Power supply
-DDR 4 RAM
-SSD
-Have windows already

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
An i7 6700 (or 6700k) is faster than an i5 6500, 6600, or 6600k. But it is honestly way overkill for your use (not to mention really not in the budget you provided). The i5 6500 is a very good CPU that will last you a long time. Even though Flash games aren't affected by graphic cards, for your use it be better to use the savings to buy a video card instead of an i7 6700 or 6700k. That way if you "ever get back into WOW" you'll be able to.

As ar as the SSD, here is Anandtech's recommended list:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9799/best-ssds

They recommend the MX300, 850 EVO, and the Muskin Reactor for the 'value and mainstream' market.

nylax99

Nov 19, 2010
thanks for the info!
might up my budget a little actually so certain things might be within reach :)
I searched around for a similar guide on DDR4 but couldn't find anything... am I thinking too much that there should be differences on the DDR4 brands?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
thanks for the info!
might up my budget a little actually so certain things might be within reach :)
I searched around for a similar guide on DDR4 but couldn't find anything... am I thinking too much that there should be differences on the DDR4 brands?

The best DDR4 brands (and speeds) are the ones that are certified to work with whatever motherboard you pick out:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/memory-finder

http://gskill.com/en/configurator

https://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/Options

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/advisor

nylax99

Nov 19, 2010
been doing alot of research, do you mind taking a look at my build currently? I took in consideration all the above builds, and added my own thoughts.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BV3BzM

CPU: i7-6700K having a sale on newegg so seems like a good deal
MOBO: Z170A, I guess I could go to Z170E which is $20 cheaper, not really sure the difference here....
RAM: seems to be decent reviews on this, figure might as well get 32GB, overkill but....

basically I sacrificed the graphics card all together and opted to use the intel HD 530 onboard (since flash doesn't utilize graphics card) and then in a month or so get the money to buy a decent graphics card at that point.

Thanks again :)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
been doing alot of research, do you mind taking a look at my build currently? I took in consideration all the above builds, and added my own thoughts.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BV3BzM

CPU: i7-6700K having a sale on newegg so seems like a good deal
MOBO: Z170A, I guess I could go to Z170E which is $20 cheaper, not really sure the difference here....
RAM: seems to be decent reviews on this, figure might as well get 32GB, overkill but....

basically I sacrificed the graphics card all together and opted to use the intel HD 530 onboard (since flash doesn't utilize graphics card) and then in a month or so get the money to buy a decent graphics card at that point.

Thanks again :)

My thoughts:

CPU: Big-time overkill for your use, but your call. It makes more sense to get a i5, and apply the saving towards a video card.

Cooler: Fine

MOBO: Mid-range, popular solid board. The Z170-E still a good board, but doesn't have a PCI slot, has a little more basic sound codec, one less USB 3.1 port, and has fewer video connections for people using CPU graphics. You could get the Z170-E and use the savings towards a video card now.

RAM: 32GB?!?! Come on. RAM prices are the highest they have been in a while, and 32GB for Flash games? Drop it down to 16GB (which is likely 8-10 GB more than you will ever use), and put the savings towards a something else / video card.......

SSD: The MX300 is fine.

Case: Fine

Power supply: Here is another area that you can take some of that RAM savings, and put it towards a better unit. The unit you selected is ok, but you could always get the EVGA SuperNova G2 550w for $74.99. It has a 7 year warranty compared to 3 years for one you selected, and well worth the extra $25.

nylax99

Nov 19, 2010
I know the RAM was overkill x10 but with 2 screens and usually 40 things going on in the background, I figure I could always use more ram. Other thing is I was thinking of running a virtualbox which then would take more RAM as well.

Thanks for the power supply option, will definitely be worth the extra $.

My thoughts:

CPU: Big-time overkill for your use, but your call. It makes more sense to get a i5, and apply the saving towards a video card.

Cooler: Fine

MOBO: Mid-range, popular solid board. The Z170-E still a good board, but doesn't have a PCI slot, has a little more basic sound codec, one less USB 3.1 port, and has fewer video connections for people using CPU graphics. You could get the Z170-E and use the savings towards a video card now.

RAM: 32GB?!?! Come on. RAM prices are the highest they have been in a while, and 32GB for Flash games? Drop it down to 16GB (which is likely 8-10 GB more than you will ever use), and put the savings towards a something else / video card.......

SSD: The MX300 is fine.

Case: Fine

Power supply: Here is another area that you can take some of that RAM savings, and put it towards a better unit. The unit you selected is ok, but you could always get the EVGA SuperNova G2 550w for $74.99. It has a 7 year warranty compared to 3 years for one you selected, and well worth the extra $25.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Not to sound rude, but it really sounds like you have more of a case of hardware lust than actual need for an upgrade. You say you think you have an i5-3400. This chip doesn't exist, but the 3450 does, which is a 3.1-3.5GHz Ivy Bridge i5. If that's what you have, then for your described use case, even this chip is overkill. If it's not performing well, other parts of your system are holding you back.

What I would do:
-If you want your PC to look nice, get a new case.
-Keep your motherboard and CPU.
-Add more RAM if necessary.
-Add a mid-range GPU like the AMD RX 470. Even the 460 will be more than plenty for your use, the 470 leaves you room to grow if you ever grow out of flash games.
-If you CPU runs hot or noisy, get a new cooler. Essentially every cooler for a modern Intel platform will fit your motherboard (unless it's some weirdo OEM solution that doesn't conform to a single spec whatsoever).
-For the new GPU, add a new high quality PSU, like the G2 550W mentioned above.
-Buy a decent-sized SSD (500GB-1TB), and install your OS on it.
-If you don't have USB 3.0 on your motherboard (or want more ports), add a $30 PCIe-based controller card.

This would leave you with quite a bit of money left over from what you're proposing, essentially no percievable performance difference, and a clear upgrade path down the line (with a new case, PSU, CPU cooler and GPU now, you can buy a new CPU and motherboard in 1-2-3 years should you want/need it). I get that buying a new PC is fun, but you really sound like you've lost all perspective in terms of what you will actually be getting any value from. The very idea of buying an i7-6700K to play flash games makes me want to laugh, cry, or both. Mostly both.

Edit: I put together a PCpartpicker list with some suggestions: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cpGRwV
It doubles your SSD storage and adds an RX 460 4GB with a good cooler (a very decent card for 1080p gaming), gets you the better PSU, and still saves you $300. Then, put those $300 aside, and spend them on your next upgrade in a few years' time.

Last edited: