HELP! Da benz took a leak on my garage!!! :( With Pics

Techie333

Platinum Member
Jan 20, 2001
This morning I left in a hurry as most of you know, I had some papers due and stuff, but anyway when I came back, look what I found on the floor!! This is a 1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK230 that I just purchased about a month to two months ago! What is this stuff? Do I have any reason to PANIC!!!!!! WTF?!?!??!
pics

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
is that a female?

Seriously, no clue! where exactly was it.. left or right side?

AJ.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
It's ATF -- automatic transmission fluid

edit: nice Benz btw... and yeah, I'd take it to a good mechanic ASAP

SilverTorch

Golden Member
Oct 4, 2000
Can't make it out in the pics very well, but if its a red-ish color its tranny oil. regardless of the color go to the dealer.

Techie333

Platinum Member
Jan 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
Thanks for identifying it, now why did it do it? What am I supposed to do? Now that I think about it, the transmission was actin weird as hell today!!! OH SHEET! Am I driving w/o transmission fluid!?!?!?

bleeb

Lifer
Feb 3, 2000
Yup. Looks like transmission fluid. regular oil would be darker ... I think.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Techie333
Thanks for identifying it, now why did it do it? What am I supposed to do? Now that I think about it, the transmission was actin weird as hell today!!! OH SHEET! Am I driving w/o transmission fluid!?!?!?

check your tranny fluid...make sure to idle your car for a while and check it while the car is running. If you are low, fill it back up and take it to the shop. If you want to try a quick fix, there are stop leak solutions out there, but that looks pretty drastic.

Anyone else think that looks a little dark to be just tranny fluid?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I'd check the color of the coolant myself - is the coolant red?

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003

edit: nice Benz btw... and yeah, I'd take it to a good mechanic ASAP

I concur, as if it matters.

When you pull the tranny's dip stick, take a good long sniff.
I hope for the sake of your wallet, that it doesn't smell burnt...:frown:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
No, no, it's probably still got plenty of fluid in it (automatics usually hold 10-12 quarts, that would be enough to flood your whole garage floor).

Do you know how to check the tranny fluid level? Find the tranny dipstick and with the car running and warmed up, check it by pulling the dipstick out, wiping it with a clean rag, pulling it out again and checking the level. Make sure you're checking the tranny dipstick and not the engine oil dipstick -- the engine oil dipstick will probably read dry if you check while the engine is running.

I'd recommend taking it to a good mechanic right away to have it checked out.
One question: does the oil on your garage floor have a funky odor? Check at the dipstick too. Burnt smell or burnt look is VERY bad...

CubicZirconia

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2001
You didn't dump that on the garage floor to give yourself an excuse to post pictures of your car did you?

edit: spelling

Techie333

Platinum Member
Jan 20, 2001
BTW, I know for a fact that this car's transmission fluid reservoir only holds 2 quartz!!!!

Techie333

Platinum Member
Jan 20, 2001
Crap! What does it mean? Will I have to get new transmission? Man, I am sheetin my pants right now!

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Calm down... deep breaths... relax... check the fluid... call a mechanic.

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Crap! What does it mean? Will I have to get new transmission? Man, I am sheetin my pants right now!

I just got a similar thing on my car. Turned out to be a loose pan that required 3 min of work. I just refilled to get the car to the garage and spent the money on getting a fluid,filter,gasket change since my fluid looked dark... i'm no expert but your scenario sounds like mine. and I spent about $80 total.

Techie333

Platinum Member
Jan 20, 2001
I checked in the manual for Automatic Transmission Fluid Level and the bastards don't give you a dipstick!! Here's what it says:

"The transmission has a permanent fill of automatic transmission fluid. Regular automatic transmission fluid level checks and changes are not required. For this reason the dipstick is omitted. If you notice fluid loss or gear shifting malfunctions, have your autorized Mercedes-Benz dealer check the transmission fluid level."

NorthRiver

Golden Member
May 6, 2002
DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR. Get a tow truck, and take it to a mechanic. Any driving could kill your tranny, and that will be big bucks!!!!!

Techie333

Platinum Member
Jan 20, 2001
Originally posted by: NorthRiver
DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR. Get a tow truck, and take it to a mechanic. Any driving could kill your tranny, and that will be big bucks!!!!!
Man, I can't believe I drove it today already. Didn't realise it until I came back home today! Drove it like probably 5-10 miles. SHEET SHEET SHEET!!!!! DANG DANG DANG!! CRAP CRAP CRAP!!!

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
I checked in the manual for Automatic Transmission Fluid Level and the bastards don't give you a dipstick!! Here's what it says:

"The transmission has a permanent fill of automatic transmission fluid. Regular automatic transmission fluid level checks and changes are not required. For this reason the dipstick is omitted. If you notice fluid loss or gear shifting malfunctions, have your autorized Mercedes-Benz dealer check the transmission fluid level."

My ex-wifes Passat manuel said the same thing.

Does the fluid on the floor smell burnt of sweet. Close the garage door before getting on all 4's, as the neighbors may think you strange and having an intemit relationship
with your Benz........

NorthRiver

Golden Member
May 6, 2002
Originally posted by: NorthRiver
Man, I can't believe I drove it today already. Didn't realise it until I came back home today! Drove it like probably 5-10 miles. SHEET SHEET SHEET!!!!! DANG DANG DANG!! CRAP CRAP CRAP!!!

Sh!t happens man, but don't drive it anymore until you get it looked at.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Great! The MB dealership will charge like $100 just to take a look. Dammit!

Lol, not sure what you were expecting... I call shenanigans... that car is WAAAY too expensive for you to be crying about 100$ for diagnostics...