Help Controlling FAN Speed

lcymet

Jun 19, 2004
I have a Silverstone 120mm case exhaust fan that came with my case - I believe it's the same case fan that you can buy seperately, but mine didn't come with the fan controller.

I would like to be able control the fan speed because it's blowing more air then I need and I'd like it to be quieter. (apprently the Silverstone 120 gets 100 CFM at full speed, and will run fullspeed without the fan controller)

I'm hoping I can get one of those Zalman Fanmates to control the RPM, but one thing is confusing me....

The fan has three wires... the red and black wires go to a fullsize 4-pin molex connector (connected to the powersupply) and the yellow goes to a 3-pin motherboard connector - Will the fan mate work if I connect it to the 3-pin, and the 3-pin to the motherboard?

I have the Asus SK8V motherboard and an Opteron 146.. on which I enabled "Q-fan" control.. which doesn't seem to do much.

Thanks in advance,

Laurence

skadoo323

Aug 15, 2004
not too sure but if you were to connect the fan to the motherboard, then wouldn't the motherboard control the fan still. a point of having a fan controller is to manually control the fan yourself. i think in your case you don't connect it to the motherboard.

lcymet

Jun 19, 2004
Yes.. but the fan controller only has a 3-pin connector... so I'm hoping that the fan takes a signal from the 3-pin connector, and I'm assuming the motherboard is sedning that signal.. so when the fan controller is connected.. I can regulate the signal sent to the fan form the motherboard. Otherwise... the fan is just running form the 4-pin at full speed.