I need help choosing between 2 asus laptop for my side machine. The laptop is:
Asus tp410ur-ec301t
-i3 7100u
-2in1 with ips fhd 14" screen

a442ur
-i5 8250u
-tn hd 14" screen
-dvd rw(i won't really use this)

Other than listed above both have same/similar specs and also similar price, so i need some advice to choose between them. Do i go with better processor or should i consider other aspects too? If you have said laptop what's your impression for it.
I never had a 2in1 before so i have a question, when in tablet mode will the browser show page in desktop or mobile? I have a web business, so this will take into consideration because it will help me presenting my work to the client. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Primary use for this machine is coding, office apps(excel, word, visio, powerpoint), and 10bit 1080p video playback. I won't really use this for gaming, even if i do i will only play jrpg title and both machines meet the requirements for said games.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
You mentioned the specs were similar but I would look at weight, battery life and screen quality specifically. Also, user upgradeability…can you replace main storage and upgrade the RAM.

-KeithP

dizz00

Dec 20, 2017
From what i read the i3 one is more lightweight, have slightly better battery life, and much better screen. The only cons is slower processor.
Both memory is upgradeable up to 12GB with 1 free slot and the main memory soldered. Both main storage is upgradeable. From what i read the tp410ur should have a free sata-iii slot, but that is for i5 and i7 variants, not sure if the i3 will have it.
I saw a YouTube review for the a442ur(i5) and it only have 2 usb-a port and 1 usb-c port, fewer than tp410ur which have 3 usb-a and 1 usb-c.

dizz00

Dec 20, 2017
You mentioned the specs were similar but I would look at weight, battery life and screen quality specifically. Also, user upgradeability…can you replace main storage and upgrade the RAM.

-KeithP
Do you think i'm better off with the i3 one despite its worse processor. I can only think the other one advantage is better processor.

Oh i did some more digging and the i3 is clocked @2.4Ghz 2c4t and the i5 @1.6Ghz 4c8t.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
I don't do any coding, so I am not sure how much the extra cores/threads on the i5 would benefit you. If you plan to be using the laptop mostly with its built-in screen (not an external monitor) then I would probably go with the i3.

-KeithP

Reactions: dizz00

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
I'd put my vote on the i3 as well. It also has a better screen. Are you able to play with these in person at all?