Help! buying PC

frecklesmcgee

Jan 21, 2013
Hello everybody.. i am looking at a friend pc and trying to figure out if its worth buying. He want to sell it for $1000 Let me know your input. Thanks

Motherboard: Asus P8 Z77-V Pro
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
Video Card: XFX Double D FX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Memory
Hard Drive: Intel 330 Series Solid-State Drive 120GB
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3
Power Supply: Corsair TX650M 650 Watt
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Optical Drive: LG 14x Blu-Ray/DVD writer
Keyboard: Logitech Illuminated Keyboard (wired)
Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO Gaming Mouse
Headset: Logitech h760 Wireless Headset
Computer Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two
Monitor: Samsung 23.6" LED 2ms response Monitor

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
That's worth about $1300 new... so judge for yourself what it's worth used, you know how long he's had them and what condition they're in. Does he have receipts left for the items so you can have warranty on them?

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
3 months, all receipts accounted for... well I guess it's not a bad deal. But... you could build an equally performing new PC for $1000 but with sacrifices like "only" 8GB of RAM, a cheaper case, cheaper keyboard+mouse etc.

frecklesmcgee

Jan 21, 2013
Have not built computer in like 8 years... trying to stay away from that route. Thanks for the input.. I might try to offer $900. That seem fair. I think.

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
At $1000 I don't think it's a bad deal when it includes the monitor, keyboard and mouse. If $100 is significant to you I would definitely try to offer $900 or even $850. The main thing to me is that it doesn't even have a conventional HDD. To me you have to include in whatever you're willing to pay the price of buying a platter drive.

That 120GB SSD is going to fill up way too fast if you want to game. You have to think not only about the space required for a barebones OS install, but also whatever basic apps you need, plus the things like the WinSxS directory that can balloon pretty quickly. And games are getting larger and larger - BF3 is almost 23GB!

The machine I built recently for a little over $1000 is slightly faster than that for gaming (better video card) and has a 180GB SSD and 1TB HDD. However, it didn't include peripherals.

frecklesmcgee

Jan 21, 2013
DSF,

Didnt notice that until you mention it. I'll have to use that to bargain with him.

Thanks.

Freckles

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Did nobody notice this is a price check thread? You're getting sloppy, folks! :colbert:

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
Did nobody notice this is a price check thread? You're getting sloppy, folks! :colbert:

Well there's been some discussion of that lately. There are two general groups of opinions:

1) Price checks of any kind should not be allowed.

2) Threads like this, which are trying to determine a fair purchase price for someone else's equipment, are not price checks in the traditional sense. The spirit of the rule is to prevent people essentially advertising their own for-sale parts, thereby conducting FS/FT business outside the appropriate forum.

I can see it both ways, but if this kind of thread isn't allowed in Gen Hardware there's not really another place for people who honestly just want input on whether their purchase would be wise.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
I can see it both ways, but if this kind of thread isn't allowed in Gen Hardware there's not really another place for people who honestly just want input on whether their purchase would be wise.

Except for personal messages.

I advocate (2), I think it's practical and I don't see the harm in threads like this.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
A rule of thumb I would use is a used PC is only worth half of what it originally cost. Parts warranties do not transfer.

Hubb1e

Aug 25, 2011
Seems like a reasonable deal to me and I don't think this is an uninteresting thread. The guy wants an honest opinion. Try $850 first and maybe he'll counter at $900 and you're in good shape. It's a nicely specced system. And you'll probably need a spinner harddrive too so factor that in plus the help to install it if you don't know how.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com

I noticed it, but have refrained from commenting until somebody brought it up. I'm in DSF's camp #1 because I think that a hard and fast rule is infinitely more enforceable than one that depends on interpretation. It seems that I'm in the minority though, so I'm keeping my mouth shut unless it is brought up.

Besides, if it gets really obnoxious, I can say "I told you so!" :D