Help build powerful computer Haswell-E vs Skylake, nVidia Qudro vs GTX

FFM

Feb 14, 2014
I need to build or have someone build a new PC for me that will last at least 5 years and is very upgradable.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Used for general computing, screaming video, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premier (basically transfering old family movies to DVD), Encore, InDesign, Desktop publishing, accessing medical imaging and charts from home. No gaming.
I want speed, quality, durability (on 24/7 majority of time) upgradability, workstation type stability. USB 3.1
Want to use PC to store and play high resolution digital music (hook it to high end stereo system)
Like computer to be on the quite side

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

$5,000 +/- for computer alone

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
USA

4. IF you're buying parts OUTSIDE the US, please post a link to the vendor you'll be buying from.
We can't be expected to scour the internet on your behalf, chasing down deals in your specific country... Again, help us, help YOU.

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.

Presfer Intel, nVidia, Asus, Supermicro, had good luck and bad with Seagate drives.

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

Plextor PX-870A optical drive

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Don't mind overclocking if stable. If Xeon system, then no overclocking I guess

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?
Eventually a 4K monitor. Now, 1080P

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Note that it is usually not cost or time effective to choose your build more than a month before you actually plan to be using it.
Anytime now.

10. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software?
Windows 10 Pro, latest Nero or Cyberlink, Adobe CC, MS Office 2016, and older software I have that works with Win 10

I'm looking at Haswell-E i-7 5960X (or 5930X) or Intel Xeon E5-1650 v3 (6-Core) 3.5GHz (15MB Cache) or the new Skylake line if they are a match to the above processors.

Will be getting a PCIe SSD (probably an Intel 750 series 800 or 1.2 TB model) or equivalent. Raid 1 HDD for storage and redundancy
Graphics? Nvidia Quadro M4000 or GTX 980 TI

Which motherboard? which Asus? Which Supermicro?
The case should have front access to at least 3 5.25 drives. Case no taller than 23" to fit under desk (leaving 1 1/2 " clearance at top for ventilation) and as quite as possible.
Memory; DDR4 32 or 64 GB
Power supply 1000W and quite
Corsair liquid cooling (AIO) or equivalent

Any input is appreciated especially with the processor/motherboard and video choices.
Thanks

cyclohexane

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2005
No gaming? You can build a pc that will meet all of your requirements for < $1000. A solid i5 skylake, with a SSD and 16gb or ram will kick ass in all Adobe suite programs. Don't even need a discrete GPU.

No need to spend 5 grand.

Freddy1765

May 3, 2011
I don't understand what it is you need GPUs for?
No gaming, no rendering. Seems to me you just need a bunch of RAM if you want to work with high-res images and a possibly a CPU with HT for Adobe (maybe?).