HELP!!!!!big problems with my asus p34vx!!please help me 'o 'wise ones...

celeron550

Mar 13, 2000
hi all..got my new p34vx yesterday..luckily,it was with the ics clock gen and 1003 bios(not new winbond)..COOL,i didnt want the 'new' version p34vx..anyways,i happily installed my new baby and every thing appeared fine..THEN I BOOTED IT!!well,heres my best attempt to explain what went wrong...
on the screen after post(where it gives you the rundown on the stuff u got in the puter,u know the one..the one that is almost impossible to see!!) it said down the bottom of the screen; "ERROR WRITING TO ESCD" !@#!,that started to worry me..i booted into windows,as i had my aopen ax63 pro via installed previously,with all the latest via drivers etc.once i was in windows and windows installed the extra stuff for the p34vx,i checked device manager tosee if everything was ok and it was..ok,so far i got that worrying escd error and im in windows.now the next problem hits me..i try to access my floppy(which was working previously,and is again)and the floppy light went on(of course i coudnt do anything else) and after about 4 freaking minutes it tells me device not ready!!!!(yes,the cable was aroundthe right way,i,ll get into this more soon..)..anyways,i have a thought that if iflash to another bios(i still have all my bios's from my last asus p3..),it might fix her up..THATS WHEN I GOT A BIGGER SHOCK!!!when i ran aflash,up at the top where it says;"FLASH MEMORY:"(where it should say something like,winbond w29xxxx or sstxxx etc etc),on mine in big red freakin letters is;"UNKNOWN"!!! SO therefore,i cant flash/change bios!!!well,i obviously have a dud bios chip(i think..hopefully you guys can help me on this..it might be something simple..i hope..)..now,i think to myself,i,ll go back and see what the deal is with the floppy..reset,the computer posts,checks my drives,bang!!! floppy fail error40(yes,the cable hasnt been changed)..so i then start a 2 hour session of swapping floppies,cables,turning cables around etc etc,all to no avail,me finally coming to the conclusion that i have a dud bios AND a dud floppy controller..i then in anger(thoughts of my previous experiences with my former p34vx,flooding into my brain) ripped out the board,put it in its box,ready to send back to my supplier for a refund,exchange..but i know if i get a exchange,im gonna get the 'new' clock gen model,which ido not want!!! coz,to tell the truth,if i cant have those extra fsb's(the reason igot the p34vx in the first place),i would rather go with another more STABLE motherboard,that dont need heatsinks on the clock gen and poor memory bandwith etc etc(dont get me wrong,i love my asus,but it also been an almost nervous breakdown experience until you get to grips with it,as im sure many of you will agree to ..i envy u guys that had no probs at all straight of the bat )..
so im posting this,before i send this boardback,in the hope that there might be a solution,or some advice etc,as i dont want to let go of this model(32 fsb's)..so come on guys,did i miss anything here?anyone else have the same experience?if so how did u solve it? any help /advice urgently required...

thanks all...

update: oh yeah,i forgot to add..i also had the bios reporting the wrong vcore voltage..it was set to 1.65,but was reported in bios at 1.74/1.75..i can understand a little variation,but geeeez louise,that is rich

samelcamel

Jul 7, 2000
I would just trade up on the most recent revision of the P3V4X you can get. Stop sweating the whole 100% specifications and specific revision numbers of the motherboard that you read from an article. The important factor is the BIOS revision number. The newer motherboard will allow you to update (or downgrade) the BIOS to allow you "enough" clock adjustments to get the job done. I currently have the P3V4X with BIOS 1004beta2 and it's running just fine at 140mhz bus. Get a new P3V4X. You'll have plenty of O/C adjustments with the right version of the BIOS!

Good luck,

Sam

celeron550

Mar 13, 2000
sam:the "new" p34vx only has 16 fsb choices no matter what bios you use..it uses a completely different clock generator..i have a 600e that runs 900 stock,but i like the 'in between' fsb's to get that little extra...as i said,if my only choice is a new p34vx,well then i will probably go with soyo or abit...

resinboy

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
Asus will sell you just the bios chip for about $25.00- they do this for people who either screwed up the flash, or don't want to take the chance. Perhaps if you speak with a rep, and explain that you just got the board, they may send it free.

DeadlyKnight

May 27, 2000
YES YES YES WHAT RESINBOY SAID DONT GET RID OF IT ,HELL IF YOU DO THAT SEND IT TO ME ILL TAKE IT AND GET THAT 25.00 BIIOS CHIP I LOVE MY P3V4X ALLTHOUGH IHAD SOME PAINS TO START WITH ITS GOOD NOW JUST LOOK BELOW GOT THINGS ALL STRAIGHT AND MY 550E ROCKS

bluezebra1098

May 8, 2000
I'm thinking there is something left over from AOPEN that the ASUS board doesn't like.
Try this before you trash the board.
Go into safe mode and delete everything except Dial UP Adapter and let windows reinstall everything again and see if it doesn't straighten the situation out.

KGB

Diamond Member
May 11, 2000
I would try a clean ibstall before making a decision.